Tosa Nakiri - anyone familiar?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnstoc

Reaction score
I received a Tosa nakiri as a gift. It was purchased from this shop in town, also available here. Does anyone have experience with this maker? Any idea on reactivity? I'm assuming it's carbon steel, the specs say "high carbon steel core with forged iron cladding."

Edge was pretty weak out of the box. The knife did take a good edge from a Gesshin 2k and King 6k, time will tell for edge retention.

Here are a few photos.

Here's a description of a Tosagata knife from Japan Woodworker, where I've bought several of these. Incredible knives for the money. They are reactive, but no more so than other kurouchi blades.

These finely crafted small knives come from the Tosa Region on Shikoku Island, where the master blacksmiths still adhere to the old ways. The blacksmiths hand hammer a lamination of high carbon "white steel" between two layers of soft wrought iron. They are tempered to Rockwell c63 and will hold an edge far longer than any Western made knife. The handles are made from Ho wood. They come well sharpened with instructions for maintaining a razor edge. The small blade makes a great paring knife for fruit and vegetables. The blade length is 4˝, and the overall length is 9½˝.

Tosa is a region. Maker is Kajiwara I guess.
http://www.utihamono.com/takumi/kaji.html

Oh and evil hush-hush site [/sarcasm] has some available and a little info in English.

Just do a google search for Kajiwara kurouchi.

They're probably just fine, and can probably be made excellent with some elbow grease.

Actually I may not be so sure...
http://www.utihamono.com/houcho/nakirik.html does look very similar and the price is not far off, but it might not be the same guy.

By the way, numerous makers do several lines in a few quality ranges and sold at very different prices, sometimes depending on the handle.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping this will be a good piece to practice my thinning. Also stoked to try out a nakiri.

Back