first JNAT?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaninMD

Reaction score
thinking i want to get a JNAT. i am currently using a number of synthetic stones and have used naturals in the past for straight razors, but i dont have anything for my kitchen knives.

I'm open for any type of grit really. current rotation is a 1200 and 6000 suehiro with very good results. would be nice to have something in that range, with ideal grit in the 2k-3k range. just want to get a natural stone into my rotation. stone would be used for carbon steel knives.

budget is the issue, would like to stay under $125 if possible.

anything fit that?

i saw two on CKTG: Amakusa and (1k range) and Binsui (called middle grit?). fits price range and are pretty big. also message JNS for recommendations too.

i saw two on CKTG: Amakusa and (1k range) and Binsui (called middle grit?). fits price range and are pretty big. also message JNS for recommendations too.

I'd only buy from a reputable/knowledgeable dealer, skip the cktg and call Maxim. Good luck!

thinking i want to get a JNAT. ... i dont have anything for my kitchen knives. I'm open for any type of grit ...with ideal grit in the 2k-3k range. just want to get a natural stone into my rotation. stone would be used for carbon steel knives. budget is the issue, would like to stay under $125 if possible. anything fit that?

Yeah, in theory. I just had a look at JNS. There's the 'white binsui' which could suit you. I've owned several like this, though they weren't from JNS. There's also Ikarashi: more than you'd want to pay, JNS Ikarashi are on the small side and you'd have to shape them yourself, but they're closer to the fineness you want and probably more reliable and safer for razors if you want that. If you want a coarse one, now JNS carries Wakayama Omura and the couple I've had from elsewhere are good.

two on CKTG: Amakusa and (1k range) and Binsui (called middle grit?).

Both are likely to be on the coarse side of 1k, esp the Amakusa, and they're probably also less predictable than the 'binsui'. At the mo I have a white one I keep in the kitchen; very handy.

Btw, any stone called binsui is probably an Amakusa too, white Amakusa. 'Binsui' doesn't indicate origin, and other stones can be called binsui but are usually more expensive and so known by their origin. White Ito stones are an example, but rare; from what I know they're the oldest mined stone and also the original binsui. (The name comes from the sword polishing progression.) Amakusa are generally considered to be on the cheap side and are still probably mined, and so if they're white then people like to call them binsui instead. Marketing, I guess.

Back