Masamoto CT Series 210mm gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadoo

Reaction score
Hello, I've settled on a 210mm gyuto and am looking on JCK, this knife looked interesting and was wondering what people thought of it. I'd like good sharpness out of the box and good fit and finish.

Is it worth the extra over the Carbonext, or Hiromoto AS?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Von blewitt,

I've filled it out before in a previous thread but there are a few changes so here we go:

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
western probably, but never handled a Japanese one.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm

Do you require a stainless knife?
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
around £150ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for
general food prep - slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats. i can se my cheap sabatier for heavier tasks

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I currently use a Global G16

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
mostly hammer, some pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
push cut and rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

want to try something different/shorter, nice quality/finish, blade and handle separate unlike the global. but i do find the global comfortable and light. handle less slippy, quite fancy carbon, something that will get a patina

better handle material

less wedging; better food release

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
wood cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives?
currently use a minosharp but have waterstones

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? have a range of waterstones

If you want a serious leap in cutting performance from your Global, I would consider this, which is right on budget. The core is "semi stainless" tool steel which will patina slowly.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/

If you have your heart set on a western-handled Japanese carbon, you can't do wrong with a Masamoto HC or a Misono Swedish. Comes down to which profile you prefer. Be aware that these knives are quite reactive.

Carbonext and Hiromoto AS are outstanding value options.

Profile - blade shape - the Misono is narrower, more spear point than the Masamoto.

As long as I follow different fora there have been continuous reports about serious issues with Masamotos due to apparent nonexistent QC.
The Misonos I've seen were all very well finished; with Hiromotos you may encounter some small issues, but nothing serious you can't easily solve with a strip of sandpaper.
About OOTB edges: don't expect them to be very good. I've been told in Japan the customer is expected to put his own edge on the new blade -- or the retailer to do it for him. See the factory sharpening as an extra service to the Western customer. In most cases, it isn't more than the youngest apprentice realizing a few strokes on a grinding wheel or belt sander, followed by a buffering wheel for deburring -- and overheating. So, yes, there is an edge. Grind it away as soon as you can. That being said, recent Hiromotos come with a workable edge, as do the Misonos, although the last are overly convexed and unnecessarily weakened by the buffering.

Back