Knife suggestions for 2 coworkers.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOneHawk

Reaction score
I have 2 coworkers who are looking to buy new knives and asked my opinion. I know more than them by a long shot but compared to the knowledge on this forum, I have a grain of sand in the Sahara.

Knife number one

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? WA or D shaped Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240-270

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Definitely stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 500 dollars is the budget he gave me, and honestly he wants to spend 500 dollars so he can say he spent 500 dollars on the knife. He doesn't know enough about knives to know the difference, though. He says he doesn't care about how the knife looks but I don't believe him tbh, he buys diamonds and gold watches and **** all the time.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing fruit, mainly melons and watermelon, is his most common job. Never really touches anything with a bone in it. Veggie chopping is another somewhat common job for him.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? A 240 dollar wusthoff. I don't know exactly what one. He treated it terribly, used a pullthrough sharpener and then stopped sharpening it at all and started using kitchen knives when it got dull. Idk, he's an idiot sometimes.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Rock chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) He wants edge retention and a thinner lighter harder knife. He says he'll be super nice to a good j-knife but I'm not sure if I believe him.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Synthetic cutting boards at work

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) I'll likely be sharpening his knives, I'm competent and have good stones.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

He's looking at a Shun right now, I told him there's better knives for the money but now I'm thinking maybe that's actually exactly the knife for him. He's used to german profiles and probably won't treat the knife with the respect it deserves.

Knife number 2!

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto or Santoku

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180-210 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? Maybe 100 dollars? She doesn't want to spend much.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Pro

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing veggies and making salads mostly, some fruit cutting. Nothing harsh on the blade in particular

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Kitchen knives. Pretty much dull crap.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push cut, I think.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Light, nimble and sharp. She has small hands so the big kitchen knives are difficult for her to use, especially since their handles are kinda massive.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Again, I'd likely do any sharpening.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Light, nimble, short gyuto or possibly santoku. I was considering a Victorinox because she's on a budget and doesn't want to spend that much on a knife (she thinks I'm a total nutjob) but I can probably get her up to 100 dollars as a max. MAYBE 150 if I really sell the knife, she has the money just thinks knives aren't worth using it on.

#1 Suisin Western Inox is more knife than Shun at cheaper price point. Easier to maintain as well. (In my limited experience).

#2 Did you say "she?" Gotta be Santoku! Kidding of course. Again Suisin Western Inox is an inexpensive but quality knife. A 185mm Gyuto will come in real close to $100. (I've bought 3 for various wimins)

JKI and Korin both have the Suisin's and others as well. I'm not that familiar with Tosho's offerings but if I lived in the Great White North I would be.

depending on how close they are to a knifewear or tosho knife arts, I'd recommnend visiting their shops. Knifewear here in ottawa has a selection of blades that aren't on their website and are very affordable and you get to try before you buy.

Couldn't hurt to reach out to Tom at Sharp and Shiny. "Buy local"

Any purchases are likely to be done via internet, since we work at an oil camp 2 hours away from the nearest city, and that city only exists to sustain the oil camps around it. We're about 11 hours away from the nearest actual city, and we all go to different places when we're on time out.

@James I love Tanaka, but neither of these people want/can handle carbon knives.

Tanaka Ginsan & Gesshin Kagero are both quality Stainless. Still knife care and sharpening skill are important no matter what knife you get. Save some coin for stones and Jon who sells the Gesshin Kagero has excellent on line sharpening video's.

I highly, and I mean HIGHLY doubt either of them has the patience to learn how to sharpen knives. They'll just give them to me, and maybe spot me a 20 for my time now and then.

+1 to the tanaka ginsan

Takes a better edge than any other stainless I've used and feels very much like carbon steel on the stones. When I purchased one for a wedding present, the spine and choil were very rough and the grind was a little uneven, so you or your friend might need to spend the better part of 2 hours whipping it into shape.

+1 to the tanaka ginsan

Takes a better edge than any other stainless I've used and feels very much like carbon steel on the stones. When I purchased one for a wedding present, the spine and choil were very rough and the grind was a little uneven, so you or your friend might need to spend the better part of 2 hours whipping it into shape.

Rounding the spine & choil as long as you have a vise is no big deal. Forum member Chuckles tip: putting duck tape backing on sandpaper, cut into strips, use shoeshine motion thru the grits. Because of the high grind on this knife makes it thin behind the edge, high spine to heel around 53mm on 240, great for forward push cuts. It's like Tanaka produced a very good geometry knife with some rough edges. Actually the D handle is quite good, nice flush finish with real Horn. Quality stainless takes a razor edge.

Keep recommending. They will need constant sharpening due to knife skills. Good luck and remember they are your coworkers.

KNife number two has decided she actually wants a Santoku, probably around 7 inches. How does that change the recommendations?

Simple there is one on bst. Stainless, cheap. Ticks all the boxes.

I think she just bought another coworker's spare Henckel, so that's dealt with I guess. Still need suggestions on the first knife, though! He wants to spend 500 dollars, give or take maybe 50-100. Anything less and it's not enough of a status symbol for him.

. . . . Still need suggestions on the first knife, though! He wants to spend 500 dollars, give or take maybe 50-100. Anything less and it's not enough of a status symbol for him.

If price is really so terribly important to him, I'd be glad to sell him a brand new Suisin Inox for $500 -- or $600, if that would make him even happier.

Saji or Itou maybe? They're flashy and (at least the Sajis) are not terribly thin behind the edge

Know I'm off topic if he wants a $$$ status symbol knife does not give a hoot about knife care & sharpening it is wasted coin. Than again if he gets fancy blade maybe will take care of it. Cruise BST should be some expensive like new knives there.

You can usually get a Devin ITK for $400-500 on BST and there may not be a better way to spend that much money on a knife :- ) - Not sure if devin is taking new orders though.

It won't even let me see the knife from my IP address, though. I instantly get redirected to a 'we don't ship to you' page.

Back