fujiyama vs kagekiyo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared08

Reaction score
Does anyone have first hand experience with both a kono fujiyama blue#2 and a gesshin kagekiyo 240 gyuto?
By pictures they seem rather similar both in grind and profile. Anyone who can elaborate a bit?

I noticed that too. Only have the Konosuke Fujiyama, ebony octagon blond horn. It is one of my all time favorite knives.

There are members that really like the Gesshin Kagekiyo as well.

I had a Fujiyama 270 in White #1 and played with the Kagekiyo Kiritsuke tip 270.

The Fujiyama is a great cutter. I thought it gave very engaging feedback with the product while still cutting very effectively. The Kagekiyo cut so effortlessly that it was almost hard to tell where the onion started and stopped. The tip was thin enough that my initial reaction to it was to wonder how long it would last in a pro kitchen. Drop deaf sexy knife to look at and in hand.

Kagekiyo is thinner but Fujiyama is not thick. Fujiyama is a very nice knife. The Kagekiyo has the 'it' factor. I think you would really like the Kagekiyo..

I have two Kagekiyo, a 210 petty, and a 270 suji. By far my favorite knives.

The great thing is they perform better than they look and they look awesome.

I asked a custom maker to price a 270 suji for me and he was twice what I paid jon. I cant really compare since I never bought his knife, but I have a hard time ever seeing how I could have gotten a better knife than what I did.

No experience with the Gesshin blades though hope to rectify that at some point. I do have experience with the Fujiyama series, albeit not in B#2. That said, from what I've been able to gather about knife making in Sakai, it wouldn't shock me at all if there was crossover between smiths/sharpeners/polishers between the two brands. Indeed, smiths like Shiraki have forged Honyaki blades for both Hide and Konosuke in B#2.

I would caution that with the Kagekiyo knives, you will be paying a hefty premium for the handle. My guess would be ~$150-200 over a Ho equivalent and maybe $50-100 over an ebony equivalent.

In terms of the Fujiyama series, I own a W#2 Honyaki and a W#1 damascus, both 240mm gyutos. The Honyaki is a very recent purchase and ordered the knife with a loose handle install so haven't put it through the paces. The W#1 Damascus has a different geometry and constitution from the typical W#1 Fujiyama series, but I will say it is absolutely one of the most exceptional knives I own (amongst Shigs, Katos etc.). The fit an finish is absolutely outstanding, the grind is a thing of asymmetric convex perfection, and it gets improbably thin behind the edge. It is weighty enough to inspire confidence and the grind is remarkable at separating dense foods, yet through ingredients like onions, it outperforms lasers (the only knife I own that is better through that product is an Akifusa SRS15).
All that said, one of the highlights of both my Fujiyama knives is the treatment of the respective steels. Simply sublime. Could write another two paragraphs on the steel, but running out of steam. Suffice it to say, I like my Konos.

FYI the gesshin kagekiyo in blue is blue #1 not blue #2... just a minor correction and then i will back out of this conversation again

Hi Josh, I know you spend a lot of time over in Sakai and would actually enjoy hearing your thoughts on some of the points of differentiation as I know you had carried Konosokue in the past (if you happen to know who the Kono Fuji smiths are, would be a nice little nugget of info as well :)

Hi Josh, I know you spend a lot of time over in Sakai and would actually enjoy hearing your thoughts on some of the points of differentiation as I know you had carried Konosokue in the past (if you happen to know who the Kono Fuji smiths are, would be a nice little nugget of info as well :)
I'm not sure if the public section of the forum is the best place for me to do that... but if you shoot me an e-mail i'd be happy to explain more.

As far as the blacksmiths and sharpeners go, as there is a lot of overlap, companies like konosuke do their best to keep these things secret. In fact, they specifically asked us not to share info like that when we were in business, as they knew i knew the various craftsmen personally.

-Jon

Sorry bout that. Not sure why "Josh" was in my head.

Back