Japanese Handle Styles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a very rough outline of the differences in Japanese handle styles. This post does not include materials used, just construction. This post is meant to help new members figure out the handle basics more easily.

There are two main types....

Wa (traditional Japanese with a stick tang)

ha_021_zpsb14ac65b.gif

Yo (Western with a full {shown below} or partial tang)

ha_022_zpsce977954.gif

Wa handles are most often seen in three configurations...

Round

(See Jon's post below)

D-Shape

handleshapes_zpsb576e0cb.jpg

Octagonal

handleshape_zpsbcdd6f3e.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I think I am the minority here but I like the stick tang. :doublethumbsup:

Okay while you guys are at it can somebody explain the purpose of a ferrule? Why not just use a single piece of wood?

i'm pretty sure they are glued on though... not sure that would work as well with a burn in method (not that its the end of the world or anything)

i'm pretty sure they are glued on though... not sure that would work as well with a burn in method (not that its the end of the world or anything)

They probably do. Even if the wood shrinks back a little and helps hold the knife in place, I don't think it would work as well either.

Also as a little side note... Because it's not hard enough to put the blade in straight when installing a new handle, the ferrule makes it even more difficult. Since the ferrule doesn't really expand like the wood, if you're note careful the ferrule will crack.

Hi everyone, I was about to add similar information to my homepage. Now I am wondering whether I can just use some of the pictues posted here, i.e. the ones from Dave, Dave, and Jon. Could you just please let me know if you have any objections?

Thanks,

Stefan

I usually put on anywhere from 20-40 wa handles a week at work. I advise anyone who does not know how to rehandle a knife to be careful with the natural horn ferrule. They will crack if you do not properly burn them in. If anyone needs advice or videos on how to do it let me know.

horn cracks easy, when I was visiting Sakai's handle factory, the gentleman demonstrated to us how to put the handle into a horn ferrule: basically a vice holding the horn and a mallet to punch the handle in, which would break the horn easily. In fact he broke his during the demo. There were a ton of broken ferrules on the ground as well.

I usually put on anywhere from 20-40 wa handles a week at work. I advise anyone who does not know how to rehandle a knife to be careful with the natural horn ferrule. They will crack if you do not properly burn them in. If anyone needs advice or videos on how to do it let me know.

I would love a video on how to rehandle a knife. I think it's something I could definitely do, but a video would make it quite a bit easier.

+1 on the video. It would be a great resource to have someone explain how to rehandle a Japanese knife on video.

Just did a quick search for a video before Making one myself. Found this pretty simple video.

[video=youtube;ZajZh8aps6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajZh8aps6Q[/video]

Again this is not my video and a very basic tutorial and some other cautions should be followed.
- Wear safety gloves!
- when burning in the handle blow the smoke away to reduce burn stains up your blade
- blow smoke away while hammering it on.
- always have the blade pointed away towards a wall, not your feet or other people
- if the handle you want to replace is already cracked/broken and is stuck on well, just beat the handle with a hammer to break it off
- if this is your first time to re handle, expect to crack your horn 50% of the time until you know what your doing

The Hinoura style looks very nice and comfortable, not seen it before.

Back