My Version of the Chaos End Grain Cutting Board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
This year has been exceptionally busy! I managed to hire a worker who actually shows up early, works hard and is eager to learn. The order volume has increased and even though we are seeing more orders I have been able to stock the shelves in advance of the upcoming busy season and stay on top of orders shipping far quicker than I have been able to in the past. We don't have a lot of extra time but in the past three weeks I have had enough time to tackle two projects I have been interested in attempting. One is detailed and pictured below.

As a rule I don’t usually try different designs preferring to stay with the tried and true professional grade designs that have worked so well in the past. I don't like the cutesy designs and have virtually no requests so they are not attempted and without enough extra time to devote to those "special" designs I simply choose to avoid them. So with a little extra time in the shop I decided to give this design a try. Instead of using just two different species of wood, I choose four, maple, mahogany, cherry and walnut. We glued the initial two blanks then cut and glued the pieces an additional four times which resulted in the two boards. If I were to make them again there are some procedures I would do differently.

DWS_0850.jpg

DWS_0852.jpg

Of course, no two will ever be the same and all the pieces are different and varied in shape, size and color. I have two shows coming up in the next two months and will show both and take orders only.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like the damascus of cutting boards - I love it!

Can't quite call it a Damascus, (but I like it) don't want to take a name away from the knife makers. If anyone has a suggestion for a name I will consider it.

Dave, are you back up to speed yet. I have been away for a while.

I have been asked if these are for sale. No, the boards in the photos are for display at this time only for the next two shows. If the interest is great enough or I get orders, then I will make more. The reason is simple, they require more time, cutting gluing and clamping than a regular cutting board. The first two took almost a week.

That must be insane to assemble. WoW! What kind of glue is used? One critique of some boards (esp in the context of bamboo) is that the glue is hard and hurts knives. Thus, smaller part boards need more glue and that is bad - unless it isn't? Any thoughts?

Okay...I would call it The Variable Lignan Mosiac Cutting Board...

New name. Chaos sounds like confusion, turmoil and trouble. The new designation/name will be patchwork board.

Back