Japanese Knives Zakuri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Jon,

Are you planning on re-stocking Zakuri gyutos? :)

Thanks

yeah... they have a bunch of stuff ready for us right now, but i asked them to keep making more until about 2 weeks before we come back from Japan, and ship to us then. You should see quite a bit when we return.

I'm looking at the stateside return of Jon as some sort of early Christmas. New job here, new city, a few paychecks saved up by then and hopefully a whole bunch of cool stock - I will be ready :nunchucks: :biggrin:

Any chance of bringing some Gengetsu back in your Santa bag? Particularly 180 Pettys?:knife:

Dave, step back my good man. Do you have to have all of Jon's Gengetsu's? I have a purse waiting for the In Stock light to come back on too.

Jon for the love of Pete, when will the light come back on? The light Jon. The light.

lol... sadly, still no ETA on gengetsu... its been over 2.5 years since out oldest outstanding order with them... still waiting.

@XooMG i might be able to make that happen... let me see

@XooMG i might be able to make that happen... let me see
That'd be wicked. I'd love to see a chukabocho from Zakuri, or from the makers of the Kochi brand (I think they have done chuka before, but a tall-bevel stainless nashiji laser chuka would be pure awesomeness).

...but a tall-bevel stainless nashiji laser chuka would be pure awesomeness.

I'm not even sure what that means, but aside from the stainless part it sounds pretty damn cool.

I'm not even sure what that means, but aside from the stainless part it sounds pretty damn cool.
JKI/Kochi's maker makes knives with textured/darkened stainless cladding over a carbon core:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...-kurouchi-stainless-clad-carbon-wa-gyuto.html

I'm a fan of stainless cladding for big knives that do scooping and stuff, though they're generally less fun to thin, but the tall consistent bevel makes it a lot simpler.

The maker of Kochi does very nice tall-bevel blades that are pretty flat and even. Zakuri's tall bevels have a lot of potential in them but making the bevel smooth and even (in my limited experience) takes a LOT more work than it would for Kochi. Kochi also does a much nicer job of rounding the spine and choil, though that can all be done pretty easily at home.

My Zakuri's Blue #1 edges would be pretty nice on a chukabocho (in my opinion), and their kurouchi is, if rough, pretty stable and not super reactive. I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be a very cool, practical knife.

Yep. Shoulda bought that 270 from you. Honestly you could have ground it down to 240 on your front steps by now!

Back