Quantcast
Seasoning pans and foods that kill seasoning - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seasoning pans and foods that kill seasoning

Check out the paderno world cuisine carbon steel pans on Amazon. They are a great buy. In my ideal world I'd have one in every size.

Aren't they the ones that are the same as deBuyer? Or something like that...

Anyways, thanks everyone who posted here. I've found a solution that seems to be working really well. I think Kalaeb was the one who posted about how his was more non-stick than ever after stripping the seasoning off. It's true! I was nervous today since I had just sanded the surface, but I used the pan for pancakes and fried eggs and it was more non-stick than non-stick. Do any of you guys know if it was like this out of the box or if this was in some magical way caused by forcing many seasonings and then stripping them?

They're not the exact same, but they're cheaper. I'd say if it were between Debuyer force blue and paderno, paderno would win. The handles on the Debuyer mineral line are a little nicer.

It's just a magical, almost living thing. Take care of It and it'll take care of you... the bottom of my wok isn't as dark as the sides, but an egg wont stick to it. When the finish is gummy from too much oil build up that's when you start to loss nonstick performance. My recommendations is to Keep a very thin film of oil. Always wipe the excess oil our of your pan and ease up on the amount of oil you use to season your pan-very thin coats will do.

the first thing i do when i get a cast iron pan is take it to work and drop the whole pan part in the deep fat fryer. the heat will expand the metal and allow oil into the iron and help keep your seasoning longer. just remember to use clean fryer grease for this. after that i usually take it out of the fryer, add about 2 cups of kosher salt and a little more oil to the pan and throw it in the oven for a few hours. then i pull it out and let it sit overnight. after that i just use it normally and it builds up seasoning all on its own. i only clean the inside with paper towels.

Apiece of advice that I got from somewhere (and it turned out that this is nothing new as my grandmother used to do this) is to use Crisco instead of oil when you season the pan.

Lard works well too

Lard was what grandma eventually replaced with Crisco when everyone was told that it was "better for you"
    Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Lard works well too

Sugary bacons kill my pans. The sugar caramelizes and just rips up the seasoning.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein