looking to buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpa3093

Reaction score
Im wanting to purchase some sg2 steel kitchen knives. Any suggestions? Price is a issue. Thanks guys

Im in no way a chef. I like the damascus patterns. Figured sg2 was the best out there. This is more of a beginning hobby for me.

Whats your budget for each knife ?

Focus less on steel type and more on actual food application. What will the knife be used for? How often will it be used? Are you going to learn to sharpen...it's not complicated, but it takes some skill....all edges can scream, moan and eventually fail.

Owning a better knife than Wustoff/Global/Shun...the big 3 main stream knives requires some commitment to edge maintenance. I honestly like my Shun VG10 knives for what they do and they do maintain edges that function quite well. However the inexpensive carbon knives can cut amazingly well.

It's truly best to find an entry level japanese carbon knife to get a taste of cutting performance. For some reason carbon steel knives at lower price points cut better than stainless. They are reactive...maybe they loose edges faster but they'll return to scary sharp with just a few sweeps of the stone.

SG2 steel is not cheap.

Back