Hello from France

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

First I have to say I'm happy I joined !

I life in France and I love food. My favorite thing is bread, I make and bake, low yeast, high hydration dough everyday and it's always with the mind focused on improvement. I'm all about getting it better than the last time. Still, I'm just a home cook, but in the kitchen everyday.

I was growing more and more tired of cooking without quality gear so since the beginning of this year, I spent a good sum in professional equipment, including a new oven and the whole set of small accessories needed to make almost anything I want comfortably, excluding the fancy stuff. I'm on a budget but I don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity or diversity.

I have been buying new knifes a couple months ago, nothing fancy, I didn't spend a fortune and got a good value for my money. They are all made in Italy, so it's not the worst. Some of them bought from the web, I also go to Italy every year near Maniago witch is a known place for knife production, everything is made locally, this year I have been at the knife festival, you can buy directly from the manufacturers witch is a great experience.

So all my knifes were great at the beginning but I kind of ruined the edges with a standard steel (thoses pos with the non smooth surface) I since have bought a smooth - 50cm long titanium rod as an experiment, and it seems to work much much better to realign without screwing with my shiny edges. I wanted a very long smooth thing to steel my longest knifes, and commercialized steels were not long enough to my taste.

I always have liked knifes, but I still don't have even tried a really good Japanese knife and I feel the itch more than ever, I think I caught the bug !

My favorite for the moment is a big Sanelli chef's knife with a 12" blade (hrc 54-56). This brand do a great job, but when it comes to edge retention it could be better, it's still stamped stainless steel. The parer will shave my fine arm hairs but only after sharpening. I still can peel a tomato at the lowest angle even after a little use tough.

With the increasing need to sharpen my dull knifes I stumbled upon here, witch seems to be a great place to gather information about what is best to fit my needs. Lurking was very helpful and I found what I wanted. I am very happy with my two Naniwa professional stones (800/3000) for the moment, I now have to buy something to flatten them. I'm really enjoying sharpening, I already spent at least a dozen hours on the stones experimenting with my knifes. I really like the kind of results I can achieve, better than when they were new, but there is this taste for more.

I like to take my time when I buy things, I think you have to enjoy the process of searching for something to really get the best you can hope for.

So reading was not enough anymore, now I'm going to have to interact with all of you guys to help me on my quest for a great, razor like, long lasting edge.

Thanks for the reading :)

Welcome aboard!

Personally I flatten with a diamond plate (Atoma, I cannot remember how coarse offhand) but I believe others here use sand paper and a flat surface or even another coarser stone. I am sure others will chip in with options.

I use another stone most of the time, but if I really dig into a soft stone I use a diamond plate (usually whatever worn out DMT stone I have on hand). flattening a little bit at a time, against another stone, seems to get me the most use out of a water stone. I'd be comfortable flatting a 3000 with an 800, but you'll probably need something to flatten the 800. 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a piece of glass would be just fine.

Thanks for both of your inputs !

Yeah my stones are starting to need flattening already, I can feel it. I don't know if I can use my 800 to flatten the 3000 because if the 800 is not flat either I'm not sure it will perform good, non flat on non flat.

I was thinking about using sandpaper to flatten but I only have dry sandpaper on hand, and since I will have to order that stuff anyway I think I'm going to get an atoma but I hesitate between 140 or 400 grit. I will also use it as a coarser stone for the heavier works.

I will get wet/dry sandpaper at the same time but I have something else in mind than flattening. I was thinking about getting some 5000 grit to remove scuff marks and make my knifes shiny, is that a good idea ? I may need some intermediary grits for that usage..

And I have to post and answer the knife questionnaire to get suggestions for a J knife to buy.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

I'm sure if you take your time on here you will definitely find what you are looking for. Welcome!

Back