Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Kitchen Knife Forums!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Welcome Joe, how's the weather in Boston?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    Just joined, looking forward to sharing the wealth of knowledge and experience you all have!

Welcome Joe!

Hello guys. I'm just starting out learning to sharpening and using carbon knives. Bought a really nice knife (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...yuto-p/459.htm) and some beginner stones(500,1k,6). Also watched the movies "Korin Japaneese Knife Sharpening" and the "Muray Carter"(when doing the "honing" part in his video, my knife just get duller) a couple of times, read here in the forum, watched youtubevideos etc. I spend 10-15min every day for the last 2 months trying to sharpening my knife. But I can't get a good edge on my knife... When I got it was laser sharp, just touching the blade would make me bleed. Now I can push my finger to it. Of course, I know this takes time to learn, but what is the secrets? (I'm a bit frustrated because I really want sharp knives, and I will do what it takes to learn it) Some days I get it ok sharp, but far away from were I want it. I try to keep the angles low and the same all the timel

Is the stones I have itselft enough to have laser sharp knives?

Also, from practecing sharpening I accidental removed steel from the knife outside the edge( from to low angle I guess, and at the same time pushing the blade down). These areas are really easy to rust. Is there something you can do to remove this? Buy a finishing stone? So it can have the same finish as rest of the knife...

Thanks!

You went straight to the top of the food chain in your knife choice I must say. Where are you based? I'd get a pro to fix it up it for now and buy some cheap crap knives and practice on them until you are consistent. Jon Broida'a Youtube videos are some of the best I feel. Just keep at it, eventually you'll get it, just need to keep practicing. The stones sound like a good choice, but I wouldn't use the 500 very much

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    You went straight to the top of the food chain in your knife choice I must say. Where are you based? I'd get a pro to fix it up it for now and buy some cheap crap knives and practice on them until you are consistent. Jon Broida'a Youtube videos are some of the best I feel. Just keep at it, eventually you'll get it, just need to keep practicing. The stones sound like a good choice, but I wouldn't use the 500 very much
    Thank you, I was a little frustrated yesterday. Will check out that utube-channel. I live in Norway and can get it fixed. I have some crap SS knives and try to practice on them too, but I really just want to use my carbon knife. And since I work as a chef I dont mind using a little extra money on a knife since I use it all the time. But maybe this is harder to maintain? My experience is that the SS are easier to sharpen...

And, what is a j-nat? Read it many pleaces but could not find an explanation for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lechef View Post
    Thank you, I was a little frustrated yesterday. Will check out that utube-channel. I live in Norway and can get it fixed. I have some crap SS knives and try to practice on them too, but I really just want to use my carbon knife. And since I work as a chef I dont mind using a little extra money on a knife since I use it all the time. But maybe this is harder to maintain? My experience is that the SS are easier to sharpen...

And, what is a j-nat? Read it many pleaces but could not find an explanation for it.

Thanks
    J-Nat = Japanese Natural stone. Natural occurring stones that are quarried.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by lechef View Post

Thanks
    Perhaps you could send the knife back to Maxim for sharpening? He is very good. I can understand that you want to use the knife right away but a little patience now will save you a lot of time later. I think generally carbon knives are easier to sharpen but there's no definitive answer. I wouldn't worry about J-Nats for a while until you are more comfortable sharpening. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of Scandinavians here

Just sayin' hi to this forum group as a "newby". I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and thoughts as well as learning from the rest of y'all. New to KKF but not to quality knives. I love collecting custom blades as "art" and appreciate a well executed chef knife in the kitchen.

Cheers!
    "Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of a pumpkin."

Welcome to the Knut House!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by oakrockranch View Post
    Just sayin' hi to this forum group as a "newby". I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and thoughts as well as learning from the rest of y'all. New to KKF but not to quality knives. I love collecting custom blades as "art" and appreciate a well executed chef knife in the kitchen.

Cheers!

Welcome to KKF