Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi knife people!

Hi knife people!

I spent the day looking for new steak knives, which I also use as utility knives. I gave up and decided to ask for help. First I'll read some posts to see whether everyone will be guiding me to $100+ sets. Hopefully not.

Welcome!

Hi Bohan, welcome to KKF. Your search for an inexpensive steak knife set might not get too much attention here but you never know. It's good to have you and hopefully you'll get trapped by the pricier stuff and stick around some. LOL

Welcome to the dark side. If you're willing to spend $100, why not splurge and drop $650 on these three?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	25130  
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

In all seriousness now. This article looks good. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-steak-knife-set/

I think you will find members here will agree that Forschner Victorinox knives really do offer very strong performance in the budget category. The steak knives pictured also have a good profile for general kitchen utility tasks. I would avoid serrated as I find they can really alter the texture of the steak in a negative way. A pull through sharpening system should be adequate for keeping steak knives in a reasonable meat cutting shape but for great performance you gotta learn free hand sharpening. And you've already arrived at the best place on the net for learning how to sharpen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	25131  
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

Set of four Opinel Steak knives is about $50 with plenty of colorful handle variations. My family enjoys them. Messermeister Avanta come with serrations for about the same price. Though as noted above you should consider upping your game and take a look at some higher end gear. There is a whole universe of knife lore here on this forum. Welcome!

I found something I think I like! Probably not worth mentioning because they're 4 for $30, but they meet my requirements and aren't too obscure. I didn't see them in person yet though.

And for something even more controversial, I'll share my theory on knife sharpness and safety. I think the sharpest kitchen knives cause more injuries than duller knives. It's said that the opposite is true and I understand the theory, but I won't believe it until I see results from an actual study.

Sharper = less force and slippage.....not a huge jump in logic. The last time I tried to dice an onion with a dull knife I considered it very dangerous.

So what did you choose?

Top Chef by Master Cutlery. 5 in. Stainless Steel, 4-Piece Knife Set. $50 at Kohls and Walmart but $30 at Home Depot. (Home Depot Model # 80-TC10, Internet # 203973649). The longish blades make it good as a utility knife and there are no rivet holes (I presume) to weaken the tang. My last knife's tang broke at a rivet hole.

I came down on my finger a few times, maybe harder than if the knife were really sharp, but I didn't cut myself badly. If you just look at those who use their knives the textbook way, they're probably safe, but overall, my hunch is that really sharp knives cause more injuries. There's an episode of Masterchef on Youtube early in the competition where about three contestants cut themselves in the same round. They were under pressure, but I think they weren't used to handling expertly sharpened knives.

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    Sharper = less force and slippage.....not a huge jump in logic. The last time I tried to dice an onion with a dull knife I considered it very dangerous.
    Sharper knives also cut skin with less force and slippage...also not a huge jump in logic. The [weak] reasoning is not enough to validate the claim. It's easy to make all sorts of silly arguments for either side.