Hi guys (and girls?). I'm a brand new member, just getting into sharpening. I just introduced myself at Blade Forums so I'm taking the lazy approach and copy/pasting my post from there.

As long as I can remember I've found the idea of sharpening blades to have a completely primal satisfaction, not unlike the feeling I get from hunting, growing food, or building something useful. I've just never been willing to dedicate the time and energy into learning how to do it properly. The more I read though, the more I am coming to realize that while there are seemingly a number of hard and fast guideline to sharpening, there are also a whole lot of different ideas as to what the best way is to develop an edge.

This is the part that intrigues me. I'm not worried about having a dangerously sharp knife or ever being able to make money from the craft. I'm more drawn to the ethereal side of the craft. In watching videos of some true craftsmen plying their sharpening skills I can't help but have crazy respect and admiration for the dedication and instincts that they've developed over the years.

I've read all the "go-to" articles that I could find and I'm now onto the videos of some more highly recommended sharpeners (Pete Nowlan, Jon Broida).

I was wondering if anybody could possible answer a few questions?

- What would be your idea of the grails for sharpening form and technique information?

also to the more developed folks here who are quite confident in their craft:

- What percentage of practice vs education would you say went into the development of your craft? I'm completely ignorant to most things sharpening so if I can, I'd like to invest my time and energy into the most efficient channel.

I should clarify, I'm only interested in hand sharpening at this point. I've owned and used a few guided sharpening tools over the years and am now focused on learning and developing a hand sharpening technique.

I do have some gear on its way to me, at the recommendation of a gentleman who has absolutely forgot more than I'll likely ever know about sharpening. Kind of a good quality "starter kit".

- Naniwa Professional stones in 400, 1000, and 5000
- Atoma 140 for stone flattening
- Naniwa sink bridge stone holder

If there are any glaring commissions in the tools I have coming please feel free to point them out.

Thanks for having a fantastic wealth of knowledge here and for being willing to share it with amateurs like myself. I'm already getting the impression that the sharpening community is built on a brotherhood of folks willing to go out of their own way to help other people get on the right track, so thanks for that as well.

Kevin.