Quantcast
New Guy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Guy

New Guy

About a year back I decided to get rid of my old Henckels and invest in a good chef knife and thats when I first stumbled upon Japanese made knives. After my first purchase I began researching and obtaining the knife collection that I know own today.

I have been lurking around here now for a month or so trying to gain as much knowledge as I could from the outside. I finally decided today that the only way to get specific questions I have answered was to bite the bullet and become a full fledged member.

So here goes nothing....

My first question is about the proper procedure used to thin a knife.
    I have read that when thinning a knife you should lay your knife flat on the sharpening stone and apply pressure near the primary edge and proceed as if sharpening the knife. I have been reluctant to do this so as not to ruin the finish of my knife.

Should I instead reduce the angle of the knife being held on the stone and try to flatten the blade in this manner?

I assume this will create a secondary edge right behind the primary edge. Is this OK?

If you want to thin a knife you will be creating a new finish by definition. Making it thinner just means grinding away the unthick part!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Welcome HC!

You should post your thinning questions over in the Kitchen Knife section, you'll get more responses there.

Welcome aboard Chop!

+ Reply to Thread