New Guy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattorichop

Reaction score
About a year back I decided to get rid of my old Henckels and invest in a good chef knife and thats when I first stumbled upon Japanese made knives. After my first purchase I began researching and obtaining the knife collection that I know own today.

I have been lurking around here now for a month or so trying to gain as much knowledge as I could from the outside. I finally decided today that the only way to get specific questions I have answered was to bite the bullet and become a full fledged member.

So here goes nothing....

My first question is about the proper procedure used to thin a knife.
I have read that when thinning a knife you should lay your knife flat on the sharpening stone and apply pressure near the primary edge and proceed as if sharpening the knife. I have been reluctant to do this so as not to ruin the finish of my knife.

Should I instead reduce the angle of the knife being held on the stone and try to flatten the blade in this manner?

I assume this will create a secondary edge right behind the primary edge. Is this OK?

If you want to thin a knife you will be creating a new finish by definition. Making it thinner just means grinding away the unthick part!

Welcome HC! :)

You should post your thinning questions over in the Kitchen Knife section, you'll get more responses there.

Latest posts

Back