Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Services and Sharpening Classes

Sharpening Services and Sharpening Classes

We've just updated our "Knife Sharpening" page on our website... it now shows options for knife sharpening and knife classes. Just thought you guys might want to know

Knife Sharpening @ JKI

jon can you tell me about your sharpening class and detail way is covered?

its actually pretty free form... as i only do 1-on-1 classes currently, i cater each class to the needs and skill level of each individual. Usually, before the class, we talk about what goals you have from the class and come up with a reasonable plan of how to approach that. I try to give my clients/students as much hands on experience as possible and i pause to explain key points or correct mistakes. Classes are split into two hour chunks. For beginners, i generally recommend a 4-hour intensive, and i've had great success at getting people to be able to functionally sharpen double bevel knives within that time (i.e. good angle consistency, being able to adjust for the tip, understanding what you are trying to acheive by sharpening, what different stones do, how different angles work, what type of edge you may want for a specific task, etc.). If you would like to talk more about this or if you have any other questions, feel free to either shoot me an e-mail (jon at japaneseknifeimports dot com) or call me at the store (310)399-0300

<add new to-do item for my eventual trip to Cali>
    Len

next time I'm in Cali, i'll hit you up for a lesson, Jon, on single bevel knives. i'm pretty decent, but i know that there is plenty of room for improvement.

for sure... i would love to have you guys out here... the farthest i've had someone travel from for a sharpening class so far was from northern california (i think)

I've also been thinking about starting a weekly sharpening demo night... maybe wednesday or sunday. Every time i think about group classes, i just dont think i can give enough one-on-one time to teach what i want to teach. I think if i ever did group classes, about 4 people would be my limit.

Just an fyi, I've seen Jon give part of a couple of these classes. I have to say, I thought Jon was surprisingly patient and thoughtful in his approach to instruction. If you have trouble sharpening, don't want to deal with learning from videos, etc., or just want to take your sharpening to the next level, it is worth the expense. I seriously wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Thanks... i guess
    How is that a bad thing?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I think he was referring to the surprising part, Tinh