Carbon Dated Ancient Bog Oak 3400 to 5460 Years Old Stabilized Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This is the last of my Ancient Bog Oak. It just arrived today from getting stabilized at K&G.
I will try to get more, but it will be a few months or more if I am able to get another batch.

These are blocks of Ancient Bog Oak from the Ukraine. These were cut from 4 logs carbon dated to be 3400, 3560, 3720 and 5460 years old. A paper copy of the carbon dating certificate comes with each block. The blocks were cut quarter sawn so you will see some rays and flecks when the light hits the surface of the wood from different angles. The blocks are a little bit darker than they look in this group photo. Prices range from $75 to $90 depending on what I thought was the best. These are all oversized blocks that could be used for a large handle fighter or...?

If you decide to get any of this wood be sure to use the coupon code forum for a 10% forum discount.
Shipping is $5 for the US, $20 International or free for orders over $100.
The store software is set up to give a volume discount on orders over $200.

Click on the photo to go to where these new blocks are located in our store.

If any of you have used a piece of Bog Oak on a knife, you are welcome to post a photo(s) in this thread.
I never get tired of seeing the cool knives you all make.

Really very nice wood. No handle pics, but I have 3 bog oak handles on the bench, hopefully will have pics soon.

Stefan

A re-handle set in Mark's bog oak. It's really something to be using a tool that's constructed of a tree thousands of years old.

EhTUqKkl.jpg

There are still 7 blocks of the stabilized Bog Oak in the store.

I was able to get in touch with the guy I get the wood from in Ukraine.
He will be putting together another batch for me. But he said it will take longer because of military occupation causing close scrutiny and delays of anything being shipped out of the area. I am guessing end of this year or early next year before there will be more stabilized blocks available.
Fortunately I saved a piece to be used on another knife for myself.

Back