Yak Butter Tea and Tibetan kitchen.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
The drink, with its salty, oily and sometimes rancid flavor, which makes it an acquired taste, is the national beverage. With the fat and protein provided by the yak butter, and the tea providing a vegetable substitute, the soupy drink is a primary source of nutrition in Tibet, where the harsh climate and rugged terrain make farming and herding difficult.

Preparation of yak butter tea is as time-consuming and ritualistic as any formal Japanese tea ceremony. Tibetans boil a chunk of special dried black “brick” tea for hours into a concentrate, called chaku, which is then added to water, salt and yak butter and churned – the longer the better — into a froth. High in calories, it provides warmth and energy needed to survive in Tibet’s high altitudes and bitter cold.

Ov32I95.jpg
[/IMG]

qzyZL5j.jpg
[/IMG]

This is enough for 800 people.

A look in the Monks kitchen.

s6xbDmA.jpg
[/IMG]

kBQtXEW.jpg
[/IMG]

2imGebU.jpg
[/IMG]

DUArKwO.png
[/IMG]

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Great photos...Are the photos from the same facility? Monastic life has been an interest of mine. 10 thousand years without NSF certification and they are still cookin!

No they are from 3 different places

It appears one is using modern gas while the others are more rustic...I like the more rustic kitchens with the big stone slabs and wooden pillars.

This is great. My 7 year-old daughter brought home a book from school about Yaks. I would like to try the butter, but not so much the fermented stuff. Some people eat the meat, use the hides, the hair/wool and even burn Yak poop to keep warm. I would like to get some Yaks for my backyard.
Big Yak Attack!

I'll take the horns for knife handles :) Nice pictures, thanks!

Stefan

Steely, did you go? I was there this past summer and looking at these pix makes me taste the tea! Salty and rich, more like a soup to me. What a fascinating place. I felt like I was on another planet. They all looked at me and my family as if we were from another planet! Stunning beauty, culture and people. Never thought I'd ever make it to Tibet, so lucky to have gotten in. Damn hard to breath though at 15K ft.

No can't say i have ,but would love to go .

Back