Looking for a heavy carbon chef's knife (270mm)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masibu

Reaction score
Hey, I'm contemplating purchasing a heavier chef's knife for use in a professional setting. I'm currently using a Yoshikane SKD 270mm gyuto which I have thinned extensively. It's doing an awesome job but would like to try something in carbon. I really enjoy the sharpness I get out of my white 2 Sakai Yusuke sujihiki and my old Masamoto KS so my first guess was to go with a Mizuno Honyaki gyuto in white steel. I figured it would be less reactive than a cladded blade (such as the Mizuno blue 240mm gyuto I picked up recently), aesthetically it's pleasing on the eye and I really dig the profile. I like the added thickness at the spine too- should make for a stiffer knife. However, they are pretty pricy and I have been really reluctant to pick one up just yet. I have looked at the Gengetsu which also seems to have the geometry I'm after and a good profile but god knows when they will be back in stock.

I'm hoping that maybe someone here would be able to recommend a knife in the same vein as my yoshikane, the mizuno honyaki or gengetsu? Solid carbon or stainless clad carbon- either option is fine. I was considering maybe trying a custom order with someone who could make a similar knife in W2, o1 or 52100 steel instead if it keeps the cost down a little bit although I have no idea who to ask for such a request.

Cheers

Have you seen the Kochi at JKI? It's thicker at the spine, no flex, but thin behind the edge. It's V2 carbon steel.

I've seen them on the site but they seem to be out of stock atm. Is the stainless clad version in v2 as well?

I've seen them on the site but they seem to be out of stock atm. Is the stainless clad version in v2 as well?

If you want to test the migaki version , stop by at the valley when you have a time , I think you are like 40min away

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

If you want to test the migaki version , stop by at the valley when you have a time , I think you are like 40min away

Might take you up on that! That would be wicked.

Jon, what are the major differences between the stainless clad kochi and stainless clad white gengetsu? Would it be worth waiting for the gengetsu to come back in stock or is the kochi very similar?

Thanks for that info, I'm sure you're keeping busy on your trip. The Kochi doesn't seem to be quite as flat as the Gengetsu appears now that I'm comparing the pictures side by side. I guess I can pray a Gengetsu comes on on BST until you get them back in stock.

Might take you up on that! That would be wicked.

Jon, what are the major differences between the stainless clad kochi and stainless clad white gengetsu? Would it be worth waiting for the gengetsu to come back in stock or is the kochi very similar?

Let me know if and when you are coming up

Back