Knives for the wives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash

Reaction score
Well actually for my mrs....so i'm not talking about you ladies who are pro chefs.... i'm talking about your regular home cook.
What would you guys recommend for a first sharpie... a good all-rounder. would i be right in saying maybe something like a santoku 180mm. Something nice.... pretty... damascus stainless steel i'm thinking... easy to maintain..with a sexy handle any suggestions?

Tojiro Sharaku Mono. Heavily discounted, comfortable (nice rounded handle) and super easy to maintain. I bought two to complete a Global set because I can't bear the Global handles on small knives...plus the look better.

Tojiro Sharaku Mono. Heavily discounted, comfortable (nice rounded handle) and super easy to maintain.
OK...thanks no disrespect but i need it to be sexier, cheers anyway.

If you have 16k lying around, how about that one? :running:

Swarovski-Studded-Nesmuk-Cooking-Knifes-2.jpg

Swarovski Studded Nesmuk Cooking Knife...

If you Mrs likes small knives that start with a nice petty, otherwise give a nice 180 gyuto a try. Handle - unless she likes the WA handles on your knives go with western. Damascus or not - I would base that choice on whether she likes more fancy stuff, or prefers 'cleaner' design. And indeed stainless. Check out JCK webpage on Hattori HD (the ones with white korian handle look sweet), SHIKI Damascus, Saji (many different designs). These all have VG-10 core (not the most favourite steel around here because of Shun knives, but it seems that most producers get the HT better than Shun).

If you have 16k lying around, how about that one? :running:

Swarovski-Studded-Nesmuk-Cooking-Knifes-2.jpg

Swarovski Studded Nesmuk Cooking Knife...
Well now that's sexy but i would want to put that in a glass cabinet on show.... wow. crazy looking knife .

If you Mrs likes small knives that start with a nice petty, otherwise give a nice 180 gyuto a try. Handle - unless she likes the WA handles on your knives go with western. Damascus or not - I would base that choice on whether she likes more fancy stuff, or prefers 'cleaner' design. And indeed stainless. Check out JCK webpage on Hattori HD (the ones with white korian handle look sweet), SHIKI Damascus, Saji (many different designs). These all have VG-10 core (not the most favourite steel around here because of Shun knives, but it seems that most producers get the HT better than Shun).
Ok.. will look in to that.

Ok.. will look in to that.

Check the Fujiwara Maboroshi No Meito small gyutos on their website, they sell direct with free shipping worldwide. I can also recommend the 180 Santoku.

Check the Fujiwara Maboroshi No Meito small gyutos on their website, they sell direct with free shipping worldwide. I can also recommend the 180 Santoku.
Yea... got one of his deba knifes there are nice knives good option.

Let me get this straight. You guys allow your wives in the kitchen? :peepwall:

Well now that's sexy but i would want to put that in a glass cabinet on show.... wow. crazy looking knife .

That picture was posted in jest. It's terrible. I also recommend the Gonbei. Custom handle? I would ask one of the custom makers here on the board to hook you up.

My wife has seen some high end knives in our kitchen and it happens she has very little requirements:
1) it needs to be reasonably sharp
2) stainless (stainless clad over carbon also seems to work)
3) short (even 180mm seems too long)

So regardless what knives you'll get for your wife in the future, there's one thing that can be done right now: make sure the knives she's currently using are sharp.

If you can wait for Black Friday/Blue Monday sales, Epicurean Edge should have some really good deals. They often put their Epicurean RyuSens on a BIG sale (I think mine were around 1/2 price)--gets them in the reasonable range. The santoku & utility are both very, very nice. Here's the utility. They are very attractive knives, stainless damascus san mei over SG2 with cocobolo handle. The spines and choils are rounded--F&F are excellent. They hold an edge for a long time and I've found them easy to sharpen. The only down side I've seen is that they can get a little chippy. If you hit them regularly with a ceramic rod it seems to take care of the problem.

Another great knife is a Yoshikane SLD. Again, check for sales. Gorgeous knife, fun to use. I had mine rehandled & love it.

Back