Some information on Tanaka Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanP

Reaction score
I am really new to this, and I've been browsing random websites.

I saw this demascus Tanaka Santokou blue #2 for 78 dollars and thought it is really cheap.

what makes a knife the price that it is, I mean I thought good carbon steel knives for at least above 150 dollars.

Are Tanaka knives are good buy. I am just looking for a first carbon steel knife, and this seems to be a really affordable option

Tanaka knives are a good buy for the price the cheaper ones have resin bolsters instead of Horn. You can do a little TLC like rounding sharp edges on spine & choil.

Very good knives, but fit and finish can be a little rough. Nothing some time with some sandpaper can't take care of. All of the ones I've bought from metalmaster have had buffalo horn ferrules

I love Tanaka knives but you have to understand what you are getting. Amongst his own brand there are a few tiers. The blue steel damascus is some great steel with nice grinds and some rough spots. Spine, choil, handle. All can be fixed easily enough especially at $78. Great buy!

Though there's quite a bit of choice in our household here, the Tanaka santokus still see a lot of use. My wife in particular likes to use them... along with a Shigefusa. She doesn't care that there's a difference in price and all the technical stuff we like to get in to. She just uses what she likes to use. I enjoy using them too - I never feel like "damn, why am I using this thing rather than something else?"

The Tanaka damascus line of knives is not perfect, of course, but very nice to use and more than worth the price you pay for them.

I have a 240 blue 2 damascus and love it.
I have many more knives, most more expensive, some quite more expensive.
The Tanaka is among my favorites.

I'll second all of that! +1

The reactivity on the cladding of the blue #2 line is pretty bad, damn near annoying. But it's a decent knife for the price if you give it some love. Could use a re handle too.

I don't recall the reactivity being a big issue, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

I'm with Theory, echerub, and Keith on this one. They are great knives that need a bit of TLC off the bat. I have one coming (190 blue 2 gyuto) that I will be swapping the handle on, easing the spine and choil on, and making a saya for that I will be keeping for myself. I don't really have any of my own work, and a Tanaka was the perfect choice to "treat myself".

If you get one, you will likely love it, and learn some new skills with it/as a result of it along the way.

Also, the fit and finish "issues" are, as Theory mentioned, not because Shigeki cannot make a damn near perfect piece, but are a time and cost saving measure. If you want the perfect fit and finish, you pay for it in his more premium lines. However, I've not handled a Tanaka that was a bad cutter. In fact, they are terrific performers, regardless of the line.

Who has experience on the Ginsakano, I know the f and f is rough, but would be a workhorse, and wouldn't mind beating it up a little bit

One think that confuses me is the difference in price from his Blue #2 damascus series and the R2 damascus series. There's almost a $300 price difference, and the only difference that I can tell from the pictures are type of steel and a change from Ho-wood to ebony. Are these qualities the only changes or is fit and finish on a different level i.e.: Shig?

If the ones Tosho has are representative, the R2 ones are fantastically thin and light. Way thinner than even the Damascus blue 2 line. Total laser. The two are completely different and you'd probably never guess they were from the same maker if all you went on was feel. The R2 line is definitely premium through and through.

If the ones Tosho has are representative, the R2 ones are fantastically thin and light. Way thinner than even the Damascus blue 2 line. Total laser. The two are completely different and you'd probably never guess they were from the same maker if all you went on was feel. The R2 line is definitely premium through and through.

Thanks for the clarification!

I love my Tanaka...I would highly suggest the inexpensive Tanaka. A good amount of time on the stones and you get a pretty great knife. Also it's not the handle that matters, it's the steel and heat treat. Most of these upper end knives are simply more fanciful handles and better polish. The Tanaka ought to cut great for the price. I'd say as good as more expensive knives.

The blue #2 takes a patina quite well and reacts less when applied. Personally keep using it and wipe it off each time. Continued use will cut down on the reaction. My Tanaka has very nice wood but the ferrule is plastic with a huge gap. The D handle from the Tanaka knives are very comfy if you are right handed.

Sometimes we need to lighten up and stop expecting perfection for Walmart prices. I think Tanaka knives are the biggest bargain around for those who want sharp, sharp, sharp knives with the lowest possible investment.

I love my Tanaka...I would highly suggest the inexpensive Tanaka. A good amount of time on the stones and you get a pretty great knife. Also it's not the handle that matters, it's the steel and heat treat. Most of these upper end knives are simply more fanciful handles and better polish. The Tanaka ought to cut great for the price. I'd say as good as more expensive knives.

The blue #2 takes a patina quite well and reacts less when applied. Personally keep using it and wipe it off each time. Continued use will cut down on the reaction. My Tanaka has very nice wood but the ferrule is plastic with a huge gap. The D handle from the Tanaka knives are very comfy if you are right handed.

Sometimes we need to lighten up and stop expecting perfection for Walmart prices. I think Tanaka knives are the biggest bargain around for those who want sharp, sharp, sharp knives with the lowest possible investment.

Well said...

You guys really stink :justkidding: , I'm in the middle of spending money on knife making and now you've gone and peer pressured me into buying a 270mm Tanaka Blue#2 gyuto. My justification will be to use it as a research blade to further my knife making development :pirate1:

Luv it lots of Tanaka fans. Agree get a great cutter & learn some skills to smooth it out.:hula:

One think that confuses me is the difference in price from his Blue #2 damascus series and the R2 damascus series. There's almost a $300 price difference, and the only difference that I can tell from the pictures are type of steel and a change from Ho-wood to ebony. Are these qualities the only changes or is fit and finish on a different level i.e.: Shig?

I just bought an R2 Wa from Chubo (with a ho wood handle) , and it is exactly as echerub said.

I understand that the spine, choil and handle could greatly benefit from some attention, but as far as OOTB sharpness, are these budget Tanakas also typically subpar, or do they have at least reasonably sharp edges and geometry without thinning and serious sharpening being required? (I also realize that many of you probably find it impossible to resist a session on the stones for virtually any new knife, almost regardless of supposed quality.)

I don't know about the less expensive knives, but it's funny you say that about the edge: with almost ever knife I've ever bought, no matter how expensive, or whether special craftsmen supposedly put an edge on, I use it once and then sharpen. With the R2 Tanaka, I have absolutely no need to do so.

I've gotten several Tanaka knives from MetalMaster - R2 damascus, blue damascus, ginsanko and VG10 damascus. All had very serviceable OOTB edges and the geometry was such that no thinning was required. However, all but the R2 damascus fell short in the fit and finish areas and the handles on the ginsanko were abominably poor.

Rick

Hah, I've got a better handle than that on a $36 ko-deba. :)

Stoked to see this thread come up. Just ordered a Tanaka VG10 damascus Petty from Metalmaster this week, will be a workhorse and I don't mine some fit and finish work. Would love to one day own a R2 Tanaka.

workhorse (wûrkˈhôrsˌ)
n.
something that is markedly useful, durable, or dependable.

[video=youtube;G2y8Sx4B2Sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/video]

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Back