Does this knife exist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOli

Reaction score
5 inch long blade, between 1.5 and 2 inches tall
Nakiri profile (flat-ish)
Ending in a low profile point to do intricate work without having to lift the knife to an acute angle
Stainless cladding for low reactivity

I am looking for such tool to work on herbs, garlic, spring onions, radishes. Handle style is not important.

Excellent shape, thank you for this suggestion. Being a lefty the D shape handle will be a pain but I can probably live with it.

I should have mentioned I am in the UK and we get hammered with import taxes...

Also, dealing with smaller more acidic ingredients I wonder if VG10 would not be better than carbon.

Might want to see what Ian has available ... from his Banno Bunka profile - might not be flat enough and on the smaller end of your profile height ...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/19700-Banno-Bunkas

Material/Cladding could be an issue but who knows as he is always doing some pretty cool stuff IMO, certainly worth checking out.

FWIW I have one, in AEB-L, on order now for exactly the same purpose (also to match a smaller Bo Bunka - his work is beautiful the way & awesome to work with IMO).

TjA

Might want to see what Ian has available ... from his Banno Bunka profile - might not be flat enough and on the smaller end of your profile height ...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/19700-Banno-Bunkas

Material/Cladding could be an issue but who knows as he is always doing some pretty cool stuff IMO, certainly worth checking out.

FWIW I have one, in AEB-L, on order now for exactly the same purpose (also to match a smaller Bo Bunka - his work is beautiful the way & awesome to work with IMO).

TjA

Sorry - also a bit longer than desired / you were looking for 5" blade his banno's are more like 6.5" - sorry for that!

TjA

As short as possible is good, otherwise it will tread on my Maboroshi Santoku's toes which is not advisable! :biggrin:

Both Takeda and Masakage seem to have very nice ko-bunkas and ko-bochos (shaped like tiny Kamagatas?). Equally Moritaka seem to have the right stuff but I have not heard kind things in the recent past...there is always the possibility of a custom T. Fujiwara but I am not convinced he would be interested.

What do you guys think of Takeda and Moritaka?

I will check Yu Kurosaki too, he is young but his knives are very well spec'd.

Takedas are nice, though the handles all feel rather small to me and for the money the fit and finish isn't the best. The more recent examples of his grind also seem to leave something to be desired. All that said, if you like rustic and don't mind spending a bit of time tweaking the edge geometry then you will likely be well rewarded.

Skip the Moritaka completely, if you need to know why just google:
site:kitchenknifeforums.com moritaka

Takedas are nice, though the handles all feel rather small to me and for the money the fit and finish isn't the best. The more recent examples of his grind also seem to leave something to be desired. All that said, if you like rustic and don't mind spending a bit of time tweaking the edge geometry then you will likely be well rewarded.

Skip the Moritaka completely, if you need to know why just google:
site:kitchenknifeforums.com moritaka

Many thanks again, I do not mind rustic at all but following your advice I may try to work out a custom Fuji knife before going to Takada. Moritakas are so cheap I gathered something was up...mind you, Muratas are inexpensive AND fantastic.

Call Will Catcheside. Bet he can hook you up. "Buy Local"

You can get Masakage ko-bunka from cuttingedgeknives.co.uk - they dot have all the lines Masakage makes, but they may be able to get you what you want. I got from them some time ago the Koishi ko-bunka (stainless cladd AS) and it is a really nice knife.

You can get Masakage ko-bunka from cuttingedgeknives.co.uk - they dot have all the lines Masakage makes, but they may be able to get you what you want. I got from them some time ago the Koishi ko-bunka (stainless cladd AS) and it is a really nice knife.

Thanks Matus, I have the Koishi Honesuki and absolutely love it. Totally bulletproof and superbly made.

I will check the Ko-Bunka profile but I believe it has a round belly, the small Kamagata in the same range looks great though.

Back