is this an akifusa/harayuki/artisan/ikeda?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe it is; R2 is the same as SG2, but not srs-15 (which is akifusa's core steel). Knife looks like it has a nice profile though.

ive noticed that difference but thought it was declared wrong. there is a remarkable resemblance in profile and handle, dont you think?

I believe that the maker of these knives has different lines in different steel. It certainly looks very similar to Akifusa (I've owned two).

so...i went for it and it arrived today. here are some pics. can anybody translate the kanji? i dont even know how my new knife is called or whos the maker :D

Congratulations.

Can you give some measurements? And a choil shot. A short review is most welcome too ;)

so...i went for it and it arrived today. here are some pics. can anybody translate the kanji? i dont even know how my new knife is called or whos the maker
can't say anything about the steel, of course, but it looks pretty much like my artisan gyuto (=ikeda/akifusa)... my personal guess (guess only): it is an akifusa!

47 tall at the heel, 241 heel to tip, nice distal taper, pretty thin behind the edge. ill try to make a choil shot tomorrow. im pretty happy til now, but havent cut anything yet. if the edge retention is as good as i hope, this is quite the bargain to me.

by this time i dont think that it could be an akifusa anymore...

im pretty confused bacause i thought r2 was stainless. any thoughts?

R2 is stainless, but a little discoloration is pretty normal. It's a little odd that the cladding takes on a patina; was the knife supposed to be clad in SS?

obviously not, but what about ur akifusas. do they patina as well?

I don't remember my Akifusas discoloring. That grind also looks a lot thinner than I remember Akifusas being.

i see stainless discolor like that all of the time... you need to remember that stainless isnt 100% stain resistant. Very high acid foods, and not cleaning frequently can cause stainless to discolor like that rather quickly. Thankfully, it also cleans up easily, but i see this on srs-15, r2, sg2, vg10, aebl, aus10, aus8, and many others, along with soft stainless cladding.

I have the Akifusa, it looks very much like your knife, including the scales thinning out toward the back of the handle. I believe that several different brands are the same knife including Jon's version with fit & finish upgrades. Mine came with a sharp edge OOTB, has superior edge holding, & is easy to sharpen. The SRS-15 steel is great for kitchen knives.

I think it could be a misprint on the type of steel, if your knife has the properties I described than it may be SRS-15.

Latest posts

Back