Remember when....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing JCK and reminiscent thoughts began crossing my mind. Let's have a thread where we can share our memories from days gone by... I'll kick things off...

Remember when Salty was the first guy to get the Mizuno Tanrenjo Honyaki? And then he got ANOTHER? And then he passed one of them around????!!! Remember that?

No, I don't. (But not clear who you're writing to here. ;)) However, pass-arounds.... I've never participated, but they seemed like a nice and trusting kind of thing, and my impression is they don't happen much these days.

"remember when i used to eat sardines for dinner..."

I was just browsing JCK and reminiscent thoughts began crossing my mind. Let's have a thread where we can share our memories from days gone by... I'll kick things off...

Remember when Salty was the first guy to get the Mizuno Tanrenjo Honyaki? And then he got ANOTHER? And then he passed one of them around????!!! Remember that?

I remember when Salty got that crazy thin blade from Tsil (TC Blades). As I recall, it was 1.6 mm wide over the heel.

I remember when Del first joined the knife forum after meeting Dave M at a hammer-in (or something similar) and then he produced a damascus gyuto 'supermodel' for a pass-around that was so thin the edge fall through onions, etc. but would roll when encountering something harder like garlic. Del disproved Dave M's theory that 'you can't make them too thin for this group of people." :biggrin:

I remember when, at the height of Bob Kramer's popularity, some guy I'd never heard of named Devin Thomas's knives started showing up on the forums. People knew about his work, but what sticks in my mind were the two damascus knives he made for the guy who designed his website (can't remember his name). Those were, and probably still are, the most incredible double-beveled knives I've ever seen.

Remember when sharpening a gyuto with a big wide bevel on one side was the rage.

I remember when a legend cut chives like nobody had ever seen before, and it briefy became a sort of standard for gyuto sharpness.

May he rest in peace.

I remember when Takeda gyutos were 180 bucks and Stevie Wonder wasn't on the grinding wheel.

I remember when the Hattori KD "available in stock" on JCK

I remember when Kenny was refinishing Doi kiritsukes to 256000 grit.

Remember when Warren first showed the pictures of his Carter set?

Remember how we all waited for Fish to post the next pictures of a knife he worked on?

I remember waiting 2 years for that same German to complete my Tanaka yanagi handle. So worth it!!!

Remember when Marko used to only make accessories?

Remember in 2008 when that German guy made handles for 3 of my knives.

Outspoken Chinese guy used to tease because he liked Japanese single bevels more than cleavers. Turned me onto gesshin stones.

Remember when 2 years was a short wait time?

Remember when Butch brought the Tuna Sword to the first ECG at Craigs house. Sick!!

Second one from the bottom looks cool. What is it?

Devin Thomas Scimitar, feather pattern (His first.) AEB-L.

I also remember not being able to take a decent photo.

I remeber when knives were just something that cut food, and I had a lot more money in my toy account :)

Remember coffin handles? Oh, when I was a lurker, they were so badass....

Remember Foodie Forums being the place to "go cottaging", forum-wise? No hustle and bustle, and some really cool guys. Sigh.

Remember when Dave used to sharpen Moritakas???!!

Remember when Son used to leap tall buildings in a single bound, repel massive asteroids aimed at Earth, and crap out jade sharpening stones?

He's doing just that right now!!! Or falling down some stairs and getting right back to work. ******* love that guy!!

I remember when a legend cut chives like nobody had ever seen before, and it briefy became a sort of standard for gyuto sharpness.

May he rest in peace.

Amen.

KCMA and I were always a little at odds, two bulls I suppose. With that being said, much respect, I liked his style. RIP indeed, no getting old for him.

Back