• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: 240 Watanabe gyuto OR 240 DT ITK gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
I'm trying to raise some funds quick to hopefully buy my buddy's Big Green Egg (who doesn't need two, right? :D). Therefore, I'm looking to sell ONE of my two gyutos. I can't decide which one I want to keep so I'm offering up both and I'll keep the one that doesn't sell.

240mm Watanabe blue #2 gyuto with basic D-shaped ho wood handle. I bought this one from Shinichi himself when he came to the Knife Expo in Pasadena earlier this year. Has some patina on it and some light cleaning scratches, but nothing that shouldn't polish up easily or use as it is. It's never been sharpened since I got it because I'm too scared to put it to the stones. I've always had two gyutos so it's use was always split with one other knife, plus I'm just a wannabe home chef so this one has never been used hard.

240mm DT ITK in AEB-L. I got this in a trade about a month ago. I really like the this knife and it performs awesome even though it really needs to be sharpened (again, I'm too much of a wuss to put such a nice knife on the stones). This one has sharpening scratches on it from the previous owner that you can see in the pictures. I'll be bummed to see this one go as it's perpetually out of stock.

Either knife is $275 + shipping from 92507. No trades, please. I wasn't sure how to price these so if anything is out of line I wouldn't be offended if someone sent me a private message letting me know.

I don't have a digital camera and these shots were the best I could do with my iPhone. I'm not trying to hide anything so if you would like to see more specific pictures please let me know.

photo(2).JPG

ITK:
photo.JPG

Watanabe:
photo(1).JPG

Have you really thought this through? I'd never let either of these knives go just to buy a BGE, especially if I already had one. I want that ITK so bad to go with my 240 mid-tech.

Have you really thought this through? I'd never let either of these knives go just to buy a BGE, especially if I already had one. I want that ITK so bad to go with my 240 mid-tech.

Devin Thomas ITK = mid-tech

To be honest, I don’t deserve either of these knives as they are beyond my skill set; I’m not confident enough in my sharpening abilities to put them to the stones and I’m still learning knife skills. Add that to the fact that I’m a home cook that means that 50% of the time one of these beautiful knives is not getting used, which is a shame. However, BBQ is my passion and it’s why I got into kitchen knives. I cook on my BGE 3-5 nights a week and I’d like a second for when I’m cooking for parties. So while I will miss whatever knife sells, I really think it’s for the best anyways.

That being said, after putting the ad up I realized I’d much rather keep the Watanabe, so if anyone wants the DT ITK please make an offer!

Dude, just get an Apex Edge Pro and have no fear of sharpening.

Had I not just bought a knife that DT ITK would be getting very strong consideration from me.

Dude, just get an Apex Edge Pro and have no fear of sharpening.

As much as I love the Edpe Pro Apex, I find that after getting used to holding the angle of the knife on a whetstone I much prefer it over the edge pro. I will still use my edge pro to re-profile a knife tho.

If you have the time and not everyone does, and the resource to practice you can get the basic motions down. I put in a few hours a night the last 2ish weeks after work to destress and I can now get a hairshaving sharp knife. Hair splitting not yet, but so far so good!

Back