Photo of the day!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a collection of photos relating to the culinary world; most with knives in them.
enjoy.

Y2pLA0C.jpg
[/IMG]

And the lady's of that era.
rDRiFyql.jpg
[/IMG]

The caption on the above photo was "chef with guest"
I thought buffalo bill also .

Louis Baunach butcher shop.
ZT3KLC1.png
[/IMG]

Hatchet man.
7W1owXi.jpg
[/IMG]

you looking at me!

cooking Japan 1907
Mg8lO0o.jpg
[/IMG]

WKBFuJSl.jpg
[/IMG]

86Rmnxwl.jpg
[/IMG]

Woodblock print, oban tate-e. Musashi Province. Banzui Chobei wielding a kitchen knife above a captive trussed up like a fish.

714mF40l.jpg
[/IMG]

aT7Wjsb.jpg
[/IMG]

wr0rSqVl.jpg
[/IMG]

San Francisco Kitchen Workers, circa 1900

D4zKFqPl.jpg
[/IMG]

A New Collection of Kitchen Equipment (Shinpan daidokoro dôgu zukushi).
sDPwEVb.jpg
[/IMG]

left it large so you can see the knives.

1909 fifth ave New York.
ceGZTtl.jpg
[/IMG]

and a french postcard.
8COBSO1.jpg
[/IMG]

Some wood block prints.

The Ariake restaurant at imado.
SCx4HXW.png
[/IMG]

A little restaurant.
H5pEohm.png
[/IMG]

This is a knife sharpener made of Old Sheffield Plate and steel. This is a very compact sharpening device compared to the long handled sharpeners generally used for kitchen knives. It was probably kept on a desk for sharpening letter knives and openers. Other desk items such as writing sets and taper sticks were manufactured in Old Sheffield Plate, so it is perhaps not surprising that a knife sharpener like this was too. Old Sheffield Plate was developed in Sheffield around 1742 by Thomas Boulsover. It is a type of silver plated metal made by fusing a thin layer of silver onto a copper ingot. It was rolled out into sheets and used to make decorative objects that looked like silver but were much cheaper.

ncgrrz7.jpg
[/IMG]

A whetstone excavated from Sheffield Castle by A.L.Armstrong. This would have been used for sharpening knives or tools. Sheffield Castle was on the site of the current Castle Market in central Sheffield. It dated from around 1100 to 1648, when it was demolished. Mary Queen of Scots was kept here by George Talbot, the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, for fourteen years of her imprisonment. Before the castle was demolished, the moat began to silt up. Afterwards it slowly filled with debris. Many objects have been found in this debris. Armstrong carried out an excavation of parts of the castle site in 1927 in the area of what is now the Sheffield Co-operative Department Store.

bbQqOY6.jpg
[/IMG]

LGiGZjIl.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm starting a new business: Sheffield Natural Excavated Stones.

I'm starting a new business: Sheffield Natural Excavated Stones.

Or you could look around the roads of the old factories and find a grinding wheel hub.
oGdiK67.jpg
[/IMG]

WdAitNO.jpg
[/IMG]

A 100 years apart and half a world away.

1909 canning , i like the speaker.

1s4IS0b.png
[/IMG]

Yarkand cafe.
0UvuDpB.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium: Flint, elephant ivory
Place Found: Tomb 32, Abu Zaidan, Egypt
Dates: ca. 3300-3100 B.C.E.
Period: Predynastic Period, Naqada III Period

fbVqUvY.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the best-preserved and most detailed example of a type of late Predynastic knife with rows of animals on both sides of the handle. There are 227 animals of 19 species covering this handle, and even the sides of its thumb rest (which is placed to be held by a right-handed person). The purpose of such knives and the significance of their decoration are not known. Most known examples seem to have belonged to men of the highest rank, but this example has the added mystery of having been found in an otherwise modest grave.

T5zaTdL.jpg

Morse ivory knife handle 1500.

a link to what Morse ivory is and others
http://www.ivoryexperts.com/

never mind, I'm way behind the 8ball here:dontknow:

Back