Quantcast
Refinishing a Knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing a Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Dubsy View Post
    sorry, still kinda new to all the lingo. safequeen?
    I think he meant to say drawer queen. A knife that is kept in the drawer, because the owner is afraid to mess it up.

Safe queen does conjure up some humorous images, none of them politically correct.

sorry, still kinda new to all the lingo. safequeen?
    I'll be fixing that sometime tonight!

"Safequeen -- A top notch knife that will never be used, but is put on display or stored away for a collection."

To jaybett: 'drawerqueen' is for people who store them in drawers. The image conjured by 'safequeen' is that it needs to be locked up, it's so valuable.

Kinda like a 51,000 dollar Kramer?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Kinda like a 51,000 dollar Kramer?
    Yes.

thats kinda retarded. no offense, but if your gonna leave it on display for its life how do you know its actually worth the money? for all you know it could just be a piece of regular stainless with some nice make-up.

supply and demand, its worth exactly as much as folks are paying for it regardless of what it is.

okay... so what should i jump to grit from grit? i have a 1k, 3k and 6k stone, and im not sure i can get up to 10k wet sanding paper.
    Hi..
    I have been there....
    Polishing your blade... if you go up too fine, you may have have food sticking problems of the blade. People have mirror polished their blades mirror shine and had to go back down the grit.. to resolve this issue. The perpendicular striations I suspect serves as minute airpockets adn also as "teeth" and as in a saw.. it has to be perpendicular to the edge... I think.. for obvious reasons... A teeth on a saw would not be that effective it it is parallel to the edge isnt it?

But do it if you must as an exercise of machoism and after you have done it, looking back, it was an exercise of dogged determination... QUite a few members have already trodden this path amd lived to tell the tale of bloody fingers ( due to abrasion on the stone) and looking back ...it was fun and quite a laugh...

I belong to this group..

Perhaps it's your turn...Whilst you are at it.. enjoy..

rgds

you can use 3M microfilm, or get a dremel and polishing kit w/green chrome or microfine honing compound.

its a common misconception about food sticking to mirror polished blades more. the sticking is actually caused by a surface tension buildup from cellulose foods with high water content. The sharper the edge making a clean cut, the flatter the food surface area causing that suction even to different textured blades. granton or different edge geometries helps to remedy but does not prevent.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but wet/dry paper has a much different grit system than our beloved waterstones. For example, the 2500 grit paper I love so much is about 0.5microns, or roughly 8-10k on our stones.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com