Looking for a Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonkatsu

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for a Santoku, but it seems I can't find anything special for me.

Could you recommend me one?

-Type: Santoku 160-180 mm
-I'm not a professional cooker
-Easy to medium care requirements
-Blade: Preferably damascus, hammered or two black/white. Definitely not plain steel.
-Handle: Round, octagonal. Japanese style with dark wood
-Around 200 EUR
-Purchasable online from Europe without crazy shipping costs.

Thank you!

For example, this is awesome

japaneseknife_001_3.jpg

If you'll fill out the "first new knife" questionnaire at the below link, you'll receive some advice tailored to your requirements.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

Your desired blade description " Preferably damascus, hammered or two black/white. Definitely not plain steel." is not clear at all (to me anyway). May be better to consider carbon or stainless then refine search from there.

And 200 EUR does not mean a lot to most (though not all) of us here. Adding Approx 255 USD will help clarify your cost limit.

Alternatively you could just buy this one and be done with shopping: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kasumi-180mm-wa-santoku/

Yes it's plain, and has a blonde handle but you wanna cut with it or look at it?:cool2:

I would add 2 places to check in the UK: The Chopping Block Co and The Cutting Edge.

You can get the Masakage Kumo Santoku within your budget if heavy Damascus ks what you want, the VG10 core is not as reputed as the blue or white paper carbon steels but it is easy to maintain.

Personally I would also check the Kurosaki range with a hammered finish and a light damask on the lower part of the blade or the Ohishi Sakon. The choice is limited here but the vendors are good.

JCK Inazuma ticks all your boxes at a paltry $125 shipped.

The Itinomonn Dave posted is the one to get though. Like the man says, it cuts. Maksim (the vendor) could stick a burnt chestnut handle on it and you'd still be in budget). After a couple of weeks use the core steel will take a nice patina, and it'll look cool.

The Itinomonn Dave posted is the one to get though. Like the man says, it cuts.
+1 to that. I've just bought an Itinomonn 240 gyuto and it cuts like bloody hell - actually it has already tasted blod, my blod.

If you'll fill out the "first new knife" questionnaire at the below link, you'll receive some advice tailored to your requirements.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

What country are you in? Canary Islands, Spain

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Santoku

Are you right or left handed? Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 160-180 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Don't know

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 250 EUR ~300 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Multipurpose

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Kyocera 5'5" ceramic santoku

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Nope

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Oblique?

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Steel :biggrin:

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Damascus, hammered. I prefer something with a wow factor, not a plain smooth blade

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Don't care

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Easy to medium care requirements

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? The same

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Don't know

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I would add 2 places to check in the UK: The Chopping Block Co and The Cutting Edge.

I will check. Thanks!

JCK Inazuma ticks all your boxes at a paltry $125 shipped.
I like it!

Take a look at Tanaka in VG10 (Stainless) http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/115

However Masakage Kumo series might be exactly what you need though. Stainless and black/white Damascus, resaonably priced. I just not aware of any seller outside of NA of this series. Shipping from NA will inflate the price quite a bit, amigo.

Because you said:
Hello! I'm looking for a Santoku, but it seems I can't find anything special for me ......

-Purchasable online from Europe without crazy shipping costs.

Shipping from US to overseas usually is the definition of crazy shipping costs. Otherwise they meet your requirements.

In a review of the second one I have read the cladding does discolor. What does it means ¿?¿?¿

It means the knife is iron clad...not stainless. I believe there to be some newer kurouchi that happens to be stainless.

I should have been more clear in that the cladding is not just the kurouchi but also the part between it and the core steel. Again, it only means that the knife it's not stainless.

Cheers

Hello again!

After some research, I have narrowed the search and now I'm between three different models. What do you think? All of them have pros and cons. In no particular order:

1. Masakage Kumo Santoku 6.5"
252 EUR (around 320 USD)

4xMzni3.jpg

PROS: Very pretty and I like the brand Masakage. I like the shape too.
CONS: A bit too expensive. It's VG10.

2. Masakage Koishi (Bunka or Santoku)
182 EUR (around 231 USD)

rLdwOUG.jpg

wlIB6Tr.jpg

PROS: I like the brand Masakage. It is as pretty as the Kumo. It's Aogami Super
CONS: Maybe too much maintenance? Maybe the kurouchi will wear off?

3. Kagemitsu ZDP Ko-bunka
252 EUR (around 320 USD)

raQ9HRJ.jpg

PROS: I think it has a very good quality powdered steel (ZDP-189 between SUS310 stainless).
CONS: I prefer the shape of the Masakage Bunka. It is more expensive thank the Koishi and it's not as pretty as the others

What do you think? Does the kagemitsu worth the money? Is the Kumo too expensive for a VG10? Is the koishi a good al around?

Out of those 3, the Koishi.

The Kagemitsu is too thick imo.

I'd still take the Itinomonn, but that's me....

I have Masakage Koishi ko-bunka (a small bunka) and have not have problems with the stainless kurouchi to be wearing off. I use the knife as serving knife (mostly for cheese and salami) and it does great in that regards, but when I use it on hard vegetables it tends to wedge a little. I also recall a short video from one of the Maksim's meet-up events which featured Masakage Koishi gyuto and it did not want to go through cabbage particularly well. Otherwise the knife is well done and my little ko-bunka serves me very well. The maintenance is no problem as there is very little of carbon steel to take care off (only some 3-4 mm from the edge, the rest is stainless).

I have no experience with the Kagemitsu, but ZDP-189 is a very wear resistant steel that may take a lot of work to sharpen.

What about something like Takamura? I have no personal experience, but consider ordering it for my wife.

I have the Masakage koishi bunka and enjoy it for an all purpose smaller blade. It has a unique shape not seen in too many Western kitchens and is easy to use. You will be amazed since you are replacing a ceramic knife. Your next step is getting an end grain cutting board and learning to freehand sharpen your knives. Welcome to the kitchen knife universe.
:thumbsup:

Back