Quantcast
Restaurant bans young children - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant bans young children

Engorged Member
    I'll let you in on a secret. People with kids spend less in a restaurant than those without. In the nicer restaurants I have worked we try and keep the people who spend money happy. I know, you spend money but you're an exception. I can't serve full portions or wine/spirits/beer to your child. This is how I make money. I don't care if you tell your friends, because they have kids and don't spend money either. Again, this is how I make money. This is why ALL of the nicer restaurants I've run didn't seat parties w kids between 7-9pm. Its one more thing I could control to make a better dining experience.

Why do you think that's a secret? I thought everybody knows the profit is in the drinks. That goes for all restaurants down to McDonalds. A cup of soda is basically free and they charge a couple bucks. That's highway robbery, lol.

In Sydney, two sodas and a bucket of popcorn at the movies costs $20. Two adults plus one child = $60 incl drinks and popcorn. Now THAT's highway robbery.

It's probably cultural difference, but Australian restaurants don't normally ban or refuse to serve children, but the waiting staff in the snootier joints will sometimes choose to get the message across by being extremely ****** towards you. Of course, tipping is not mandatory here.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    So on the whole, it seems more like an adult problem rather then a child problem no?? If the kids are taught proper table manners and etiquette, I for one wouldn't mind having them in the restaurant. The point is to be considerate, and gracious and that is where proper upbringing makes a big difference.. I've given complimentary desserts to children who are well behaved when I worked as a waiter... I think it reinforces the idea that "hey, being nice brings rewards!!"
    Spot on, Mel!

And for everyone who refers to child rearing as a 'tough job', this was something you chose to undertake. My job is tough too, but if continually f it up I'll get fired, and everyone else won't have to pay the price for my mistakes.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Well, I just took my 7 year old to a U2 concert outdoors. Bad move. It was too loud and pouring rain. She is going to hate me until she thinks it was cool -- if that ever happens. That's parenting: constant reminders of how wrong we can be.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

This is the only baby i won't allow
    adults can act just as stupid and leave big messes ........
    in there diaper.[IMG][/IMG]
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Why do you think that's a secret? I thought everybody knows the profit is in the drinks. That goes for all restaurants down to McDonalds. A cup of soda is basically free and they charge a couple bucks. That's highway robbery, lol.

You know "bam-bam" and "Dorothy" could do whatever and I'd be okay with them...

Wow, quite a subject. I've rewritten my post about 4x now, trying to make sure it doesn't sound like I hate children.
    My wife and I have no children, but raising them (and staying married) looks like one of the hardest things a couple can do. That said, nothing reflects more on the the parents than having a well mannered child. I'm starting to think that people simply aren't teaching children manners anymore because they feel it's too "difficult".
    I understand babies crying, most parents will take them outside/away from the other diners. The ones that I'm seeing are the children from 4-6 years old that their parents let them run around disturbing other tabels, yelling, throwing things, sitting at the bar, etc. I realize kids will be kids, I'm talking about the children who seem to be IGNORED by their parents . Those are the people who've driven resturaunt owners to ban children. As a parent if you can't or decide not to keep your children under control, expect to get asked to leave.
    When we're out having dinner and a persons child is raising havok I have no problem asking you to kindly keep them at your table or take them outside to play. From there it's up to the parent what kind of example they would like to set for their children.
    On the flip side of that, I saw a young boy in a resturaunt with a ton of energy- he was being a kid ( i think he was about 5-6 years old) and should have been allowed to go outside and burn off some energy. Well, insted his father decided to smack his son the the back of the head. I excused myself from the table, walked over to the father and explained that while I understand he can dicipline his child however he sees fit, he should do it in private. I also explained that smacking his child in the head, in public is demeaning and abusive and if he continued I would let him expierience it himself.
    Children with manners and courtesy are fantastic and their parents sould be proud.

[IMG][/IMG
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Good thing I have no money to go out to eat because after reading this thread I'm never going to take my kids out to a restaurant again.