Anybody get a searzall yet?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen that people have started receiving their searzalls from the kick starter campaign, anybody here recieve one yet? I'm really interested to hear how they perform.

I am still waiting for mine, it was suppose to be released in June past, will let you know when it comes and how it performs.

Nope, but those are some happy looking new yorkers
fpDGJqJ.jpg

What about the golden egg thing? Did anybody get one?

There's a discussion on egullet where a couple people have received them. I'm open but this toy has not made my list yet.

I'm not a fan of blowtorching food period. I e found it to be largely gimmicky cooking wise but it can make your finished product prettier. The problem I have is that I can't get beyond the gas aftertaste.

I've got the itwanabe and had high Modernist cooking expectations of cooking this without turning the stove on but so far other than tweaking chicken skin from a Ballottine, Im not impressed with blowtorched foods.

I'm not a fan of blowtorching food period. I e found it to be largely gimmicky cooking wise but it can make your finished product prettier. The problem I have is that I can't get beyond the gas aftertaste.

I've got the itwanabe and had high Modernist cooking expectations of cooking this without turning the stove on but so far other than tweaking chicken skin from a Ballottine, Im not impressed with blowtorched foods.

This product apparently gets rid of the "torch taste", we will see. We will see.

Yeah, I had high hopes of being able to brown meat from the sous vide without the hot cast iron and the resultant smoke. (Our hood fan is really a cruel joke.)

My biggest complaint is the flame incinerates any rub, spices, pepper, etc. and makes them taste bitter. Besides, the torch frightens my dog.

The comment on burning rubs is spot on but then again so do fry pans that hot. There is no torch taint that I can pick up and it has been pretty handy at getting things brown.

One thing to note; it will not render fat from under chicken skin for some reason so the effect can be a little odd after sous vide cooking.

All things considered it is a pretty neat tool.

Back