Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick out some knives

Help me pick out some knives

OK, this has been a big reversal for me as I have been going for quality vs. quantity. Recently, I have had a change of heart regarding spending so much money on knives, that really are asthetics driven rather than function driven.

Now, my philosophy is if a knife has good steel, good geometry, at a good price, it is the knife for me. I can always make it sharp. I need to buy 4 knives, to replace some that I have given away or will be selling.

1. Carbonext 300 suji - if this is the tokko steel that everyone says it is, it what I am after. I love my Ichimonji TKC gyuto and the steel. Any thoughts on the geometry and thinness of the blade. At around 150, you can't beat it

2. Carbonext 120 petty -same as above, about $66 (could go with Hiromoto G3 120 petty) Haven't decided whether I want stainless or semi-stainless in a petty, since my wife will be using it alot.

3. Hiromoto G3 210 suji - I think this will be my most used knife, I have a 150 nenox G type petty. It is my most used knife for all tasks. I often wished it was 2 inches longer. Guess Hiromoto uses the same steel and is 2 inches longer. Can't go wrong at $95 bucks.

4. Hiromoto G3 170 western Deba. I have a 150 honesuke but often wished it was a little bigger and more heft. Also, I want to be able to break down fish too, not much, but comes in handy when I do. Sold my old 180 deba a while back. At 110, I think it is a bargain.

What do you think, any alternatives I haven't thought of?

210 pettys/sujis are hard to come by and the Hiromoto is the cheapest one I have seen. Will be in the market for another soon so might get the Hiromoto. I got a White #2 Sakai Yusuke which is $160 which is great, but the Hiromoto is much cheaper. That's about the only 2 sorta cheaper ones I have found

Check out Moritaka knives, you can buy them directly from them in Japan

A 210mm Gyuto with blue #2 carbon steel and a rosewood D handle goes for about $80
    These are kurochi finish knives.
    I think if you can get them cheaper if you request a cherry handle instead.

Great knives for a great price!

Engorged Member
    Id go the other way...if your most used knife is the 210mm suji, by the Konosuke from Jon at JKI. By a cheap Dojo petty and the carbonext for the other 2.

If you're not into pretty, I'd go with semi-stainless over stainless. My wife doesn't take particularly good care of the knives and I haven't had any problem with rust. Just minor staining. I think I'd also go with Pesky except Dojos are just a bit too ugly for my taste. If I was a pro, no prob. I'd wear through it in no time. At home, I'd have to stare at that thing every day for years. You gotta have some standards, lol. I think the Konosuke grind is superior to the Carbonext but if you want to do a little thinning and sharpening a little more often, there isn't all that much of a performance difference there.

I thought of getting the 210 wa petty that John sells but it was a wa-handle. His other yo handled 210 petty/suji knife was a fujiwara at $400. I know that tojiro DP has a 180 petty that sells for pretty cheap too, but want the extra inch. Just looking for yo-handled knives.

In that case, you've probably got the right one. I'd consider the Ashi-Gesshin, myself but it is certainly quite a bit more money.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If you're not into pretty, I'd go with semi-stainless over stainless. My wife doesn't take particularly good care of the knives and I haven't had any problem with rust. Just minor staining. I think I'd also go with Pesky except Dojos are just a bit too ugly for my taste. If I was a pro, no prob. I'd wear through it in no time. At home, I'd have to stare at that thing every day for years. You gotta have some standards, lol. I think the Konosuke grind is superior to the Carbonext but if you want to do a little thinning and sharpening a little more often, there isn't all that much of a performance difference there.
    You are right about the semi-stainless tokko steel. I like it a lot. That's what I am leaning anyway. I wished that Koki has a 210 suji in the carbonext steel, and the 180 yo-deba too. Wondering if I should just get the 240 suji, 300 suji, and the 120 petty in carbonext. I had my heart set on getting a 210 suji/petty. I think 240 would be too large for what I am looking for.

Hiromoto has a 210mm sujihiki in their stainless TJ G3 series sold by JCK.

Just made the order, a 300 carbonext suji a 210 hiro g3 suji, and a 240 fujiwara FKM suji "with dimples" for a friend.