Tesshu from aframes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks sweet and I think A-Frames seems to only carry pretty good stuff.

Agree with that statement, have bought a couple fine knives from him over the years. Single bevel yanagiba and gyuto.

Keith, go to bed, it's late ;) But I agree also, good source.

Stefan

I shot Mr Aoki an email, and he confirmed the height of the 240mm is incorrect on the site. It measures 46.5, so still on the shorter side, but not 44mm.

Mowgs

On my radar. 158 bucks for the 210 looks like a steal. I busted out the KS last week at work and the 240 felt massive on the expo station. I'm increasingly loving the small knives since I'm doing less massive prep and more a la minute cutting.

Actually he has spine to heel at 50mm, medium height for a 270mm gyuto. Rather thick in the spine, but has that thinnest behind edge because of tall grind.

I'm interested in one, but I spent my knife budget for the rest of the year, already.

The Yoshimitsu Blue and White steel knives are pretty interesting, too (the tamahagane is well outside of my price range).

Well I have no regrets buying my Tamahagane . I use it all the time, super thin behind the edge just glides thru food. I was a lost cause when saw the building & tearing down of Tatara oven. Then folding the steel pounding out impurities making a knife much like the one I bought. It was a PBS show here in Hawaii. Started researching their knives & found best price was in my own backyard on Oahu at A-Frames. He sold out several 210mm & got a couple more in.

Then again just a sucker for hand forged Japanese carbons. About 8 years ago bought my second quality Yanagiba as was cutting a lot of fish. He pulled out all these awesome Japanese knives was drooling over. Showed me his tech. for Yanagi on a Kitayama 8K. He is retired Sushi Chef and sells single bevels to Japanese chefs here.

Keith, what so special about this Tamahagane made gyuto? I look at the pictures (Aframestokyo), saw "voids" or "nicks"...fit and finish is somewhat....i am hoping an owner could tell us more about this. Ops..off topic.

No problem, yes my knife has a few small voids. If you read all the way to the bottom I think he mentions this. Mine came with a rainbow coating to prevent rust. I took it off with acetone.

These knives are not for most people who like perfect finish custom knives. It is understandable. It is only special to a few who appreciate what it takes to forge these knifes. I bought this knife to use, It cuts superb and holds a good edge plus I like cooking dinner with a Tamahagane steel knife cannot justify it other than it is friggen cool.

I came up with a bit of extra money (my sudden expense wasn't so big once my insurance company was convinced they were wrong: wish they had finally agreed with me before I sold that Heiji!), so I had a bit of money for knife replacement, so I bought the 270mm Tesshu. I'll report back. I almost got the Yoshimitsu Blue 1, especially after keithsaltydog gave me some measurements of his Tamahagane knife, but I decided to spend the extra on a couple bottles of single malt for a couple get togethers coming up over the next couple weeks. I think I made the right decision.

I came up with a bit of extra money (my sudden expense wasn't so big once my insurance company was convinced they were wrong: wish they had finally agreed with me before I sold that Heiji!), so I had a bit of money for knife replacement, so I bought the 270mm Tesshu. I'll report back. I almost got the Yoshimitsu Blue 1, especially after keithsaltydog gave me some measurements of his Tamahagane knife, but I decided to spend the extra on a couple bottles of single malt for a couple get togethers coming up over the next couple weeks. I think I made the right decision.

Hopefully the malts and the new gyuto are good! I have been eying off this exact knife myself as a potential target

I got the knife today. First impressions are that it's extremely nice. Very thin at the tip and behind the edge. Very nice fit and finish. I'll try to get some pics, if I can get light to cooperate with me.

Here is the tip (it's not actually bent, I'm just not holding it quite straight on):

Here is the choil:

I don't know if it quite shows, but it's one of the thinnest knives BTE that I've owned. It's not dainty, though, quite thick at the spine and heavy. I like it!

I got the knife today. First impressions are that it's extremely nice. Very thin at the tip and behind the edge. Very nice fit and finish. I'll try to get some pics, if I can get light to cooperate with me.

Nice, and cut some stuff so you can relay the details.

I've used it a bit tonight. Obviously I can't speak to edge retention, but it's a joy to use. Has about as good of a grind as any knife I've used or owned (and that's a lot). Very comfortable and friendly in the hand. If I'd spent $350-$400 on it, I would have been pleased. It hits a lot of the same notes as Heiji: unpretentious and lets the performance speak for itself. It's very similar to the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue 1 I owned, which may not be a coincidence. I see myself buying a 240, at some point. I'd just go ahead and get the 240 now, but I just bought a set of all-season tires, which were badly needed, given that we got 3 inches of snow today, and my car wouldn't be able to go up my driveway right now, with its summer tires, no matter how many curses were aimed at it.

The tip and BTE are really much thinner than they look in the pictures. My iPhone 6 had trouble focusing on the very thin and shiny edge geometry. The edge is thinner than my Tanaka R2, for instance, and about the same as the Kagekiyo Blue that I owned, which says something.

I just last night convinced myself I didn't need one of these. You may have swung me back. The tall knives in SLD look pretty good too.

I just last night convinced myself I didn't need one of these. You may have swung me back. The tall knives in SLD look pretty good too.

The White 2 270, at least, is a stupid good deal. Get one!

I emailed Takeshi about possible blue steel Tesshu gyutos. He said sanmai knives are available if aframes places the order and he plans to stock damascus blue #1 next month. I'll see if I can order one in blue #2.

Please let us know what prices look like. I'd get it in Blue 1 or White 1, if its a custom, though. Those are the sexy steels. ;)

Back