Japanese Knives Diamond stone set again?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
There has recently been a lot of interest in the diamond stone set we did a while back. I was wondering if there was enough interest to do it again. I cant find all of the past threads, but here was the main one from me:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/14275-Diamond-Stone-Set-Initial-Run-Signup

This time, i'd be happy to do sets of the 1k and 6k, along with the 1k or 6k separately. I think the price would be the same still, but i will have to look more into it when i get back from Japan.

If you're interested, please post here and i will take a look later on to see where we all stand.

The stone set should run $300 for both and $150 for each.

Thanks.

-Jon

Could you help me understand why I would use this set in place of the other set you just offered? Is it a speed issue, a quality issue, a specific type of steel...a specific finish.

Srill new to all the details and building my kit so just trying to u dirst and what this set does as compared to your gesshin set?

The price on these is pretty steep, but you get what you pay for.

These stones work fast and leave a damn good finish, the 6k is semi polished but toothy.

If you're looking to flatten a bevel or reset an edge, you still need something lower but for most uses this is all you will need IMO.

Personally I am not a fan of these with wide bevels, but Jon disagrees.

If you like to play in the mud, these are not the stones for you.

If you like a splash n go stone with great feedback, look into them if you've got the money.

My .02

-Sam

Jon, you wanted to make a test run some time ago - did it happen? If yes - what was the feedback?

Pens T has written about these in glowing terms, for me that's reason enough to consider them. But like others I have an assortment of synthetic soakers, some S&G, a set of DMT (for hunting and other peoples knives) and a couple nats. These diamond plates are pricey but not prohibitive. Would like more info on what holes they would fill.

I am interested. Are naguras and holder part of this set?
Please compare to 600k and 4000k gesshins, as they appear to get me to about the same point, re tooth and useful kitchen edge on carbon knives. I have a number of diamond plates from sharpening slicks etc. for timber framing. These clearly would work, but seem like cheating for good knives. I will admit to using them on ss cheapies.

what are the measurements of these? can we get some pictures?

If those who are interested could please also include in their post exactly what they are interested in buying, that would be extremely helpful

I would like to try the two plus the holder. Are you using these for your regular sharpening and will they displace the possible combo of 600k and 4000k gesshin or is there a place for both. If you can compare the paper cutting edge of both after a one micron strop. on paper and tomatoes. I don't want much...heh heh heh

I would like to try the two plus the holder. Are you using these for your regular sharpening and will they displace the possible combo of 600k and 4000k gesshin or is there a place for both. If you can compare the paper cutting edge of both after a one micron strop. on paper and tomatoes. I don't want much...heh heh heh

a 600, 4000 combo would be impossible to do unless i put them together here myself. They are made in different places for us.

On comparing stropped edges, i dont really strop on loaded strops, so i'm probably not the person to ask on that. The 4k will have more bite for sure though.

I am interested. Are naguras and holder part of this set?
Please compare to 600k and 4000k gesshins, as they appear to get me to about the same point, re tooth and useful kitchen edge on carbon knives. I have a number of diamond plates from sharpening slicks etc. for timber framing. These clearly would work, but seem like cheating for good knives. I will admit to using them on ss cheapies.

Perhaps I'm confused....but I don't think a nagura for a diamond plate makes sense. My understanding is that a nagura is supposed to refine the surface of a stone after flattening to give a less coarse edge. I think I've heard of it being used to jumpstart creating a slurry, but I'm not sure if that makes sense on a diamond plate...?

Perhaps I'm confused....but I don't think a nagura for a diamond plate makes sense. My understanding is that a nagura is supposed to refine the surface of a stone after flattening to give a less coarse edge. I think I've heard of it being used to jumpstart creating a slurry, but I'm not sure if that makes sense on a diamond plate...?

I believe somewhere it was stated that this 'nagura' is not used in the traditional sense, but rather as a means of cleaning the stone? That said, I could be wrong!

There are naguras included that clean/flatten the diamond surface.

I have this set and like it a lot. I have a set of soakers that I leave it home and keep these at work (or take with me when traveling) for a lightweight option that never requires flattening.

Any chance for a 4-500 grit option?

CC/PT/JC, thanks for the clarification! Now I'm interested to know more about it...is it, perchance, in any of the videos that were referenced earlier?

Hmm, I missed this thread earlier. I'm interested in a set. Although I'm wondering if that means I would no longer have any real need for my Bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6K . . . I'll admit that I both use and collect knives, but I'm really interested in stones to keep my knives sharp. Not that interested in being a collector of stones . . .

sadly, no 4-500 grit option this time, but i have a different type 300 grit diamond stone i am trying to get up on the website soon

Back