Itinomonn 240 angle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score
I have almost never been successful with the marker trick in order to identifying angles and I end up setting my own angle in the end.
Could somebody tell me the right angle in sharpening this knife or I should just go ahead and force my own?

Start at one side, somewhere behind the edge, at the lowest angle you're comfortable with. Raise the spine little by little. Verify your progress by checking the scratch pattern. Go ahead til you raise a burr on the other side.
That's the moment to switch sides and repeat the same process.
As you see, no need for measuring angles or proportions. As long as you're fine with the blade's performance you may use this to rebuild a previous configuration.

The marker trick can be somewhat cumbersome when you sharpen a blade with an unexpected microbevel or a rounded edge. Therefore, raise a burr.

Even if the correct angle could be identified, isn't that pretty useless for freehand sharpening (as distinguished from using an Edge Pro system, for example)?

I always thought that a key indicator of proper angle is the feel, at least on some stones (with so-called good "feedback"). Is that incorrect?

larrybard;323851I always thought that a key indicator of proper angle is the feel said:
In my - admitted - limited experience you are right, and feedbak is not allways just feel. On my stones at least (Choseras) it is actually possible, I think, to hear the difference between hitting the edge and beeing too low

Sharpening at just a certain angle will induce thickening behind the edge.
You answered a question even before I put it. Your proposed method implies a slight thinning with every sharpening, I geuss.

I forgot to mention the vital info that I am using an edge pro :(

Exactly, to compensate for the taper.

Benuser> Two questions: 1. Do you always start your sharpening with low grit stones (since you imply that you are thinning every time you sharpen)?
2. Do you ever just use a stone to strop your edge in order to keep the established edge as sharp as possible?

Benuser> Two questions: 1. Do you always start your sharpening with low grit stones (since you imply that you are thinning every time you sharpen)?
2. Do you ever just use a stone to strop your edge in order to keep the established edge as sharp as possible?

1. I start a full sharpening with a Chosera 800. Not exactly coarse, more or less equivalent to JIS1200, but a very fast cutter.
2. That's my preferred way of maintaining the edge. I usually strop on a Snow-white 8k, sometimes on a dry Chosera 2k before (the fast and dirty way), sometimes on leather + Cr2O3 only instead.
Hope this answers your questions. Welcome aboard, by the way.

Back