Handle Wood Selection Coming Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been offering a limited choice of woods for handles, due to time constrains finding and processing wood, and to keep the cost down. That is to change soon. I am teaming up with a friend to help me to find, purchase and to process wood that I am to offer to my customers for present and future orders. These will be upgrades from my basic choices of handle material like cocobolo.

Right now, we are in the wood-collecting mode, but in 2-4 months, we should have the first blocks stabilized and ready to be listed.

I will post some more information in due time.

Thank you,

Marko

Sounds awesome, but I'm cool with cocobolo in the meantime if you are. :D

Just to give you the heads up.

The project is moving along. I have about 100 blocks of premium woods in my possession. These will need to be milled, dried (if needed) and some stabilized before they can be offered as upgrades or straight sales. I will take a pre-processed pictures shortly.

The selection includes koa, amboyna, malleys, gidgee, thuya, and other kinds. I also have a good amount of my own stock (maple, cocobolo and koa) to process and those will also be added to the selection.

Marko

Just want to clarify that the purpose of this venture is to secure a good supply of wood for my knives (good selection, good sizes, good stabilizing), for current and future orders. Since my order list is closed for some time, the future customers will have an option of buying the block/s and holding on to it. That's basically the idea, though I am totally OK if people want to buy wood for other projects.

This is what a small fortune in wood looks like. All these will be processed shortly, and will be available in 1-4 months. Amboyna, Aussie burls, domestic (USA) burls, koa, thuya to mention a few.

DSC_1169.JPG

DSC_1168.JPG

Looks like a lot of fun stuff coming up. Should I wait or use what we already have? :scratchhead:

Looks like a lot of fun stuff coming up. Should I wait or use what we already have? :scratchhead:
I was asking myself the same question!

marko, are you going to post pictures of the blocks, sorted by wood type and numbered, so that (potential) customers can choose their piece of handle wood? or are you going to let them choose the wood type only, and you choose a specific block? are those blocks all stabilized?

I was asking myself the same question!

marko, are you going to post pictures of the blocks, sorted by wood type and numbered, so that (potential) customers can choose their piece of handle wood? or are you going to let them choose the wood type only, and you choose a specific block? are those blocks all stabilized?

I will do it in the coming months. Many of these blocks need to be processed - re-sawn, dried, sent for stabilizing...

This batch is to get the project started, then I will continue adding more selections ongoing.

The block will be prices as an upgrade over the basic choice of woods. The great majority of them are AAA and AA quality, exhibition grade.

Guys,
I am getting a good number of stabilized wood blanks shortly, types that I really like - koa, amboyna, thuya, birch and the like. These will be available on my web site.

Stay tuned!

Back