Quantcast
Softer splash and go stones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softer splash and go stones

Softer splash and go stones

I keep running up against the same problem with stones - I like softer stones, but I want a stone I can use splash and go.

This seems to be a paradox, since most splash and go stones are on the hard side (Shapton Pro, Glass Stones, Gesshin and Chosera might be slightly softer but not enough for me). Super Stones seem like the obvious choice, but they aren't really splash and go, IMO, since my 2k needed to soak a few minutes before use or it would clog.

The main contender seems to be the Naniwa green brick, but it's been sold out for what seems like months now. Would a King work splash and go? I had one a long time ago but I don't remember... Anything else out there?

Why don't you just use permasoakers? It's like a splash and go...

Seems like the only real splash n go stones are J-nats, but they're, uh kind of hard as a rock.

i like the put in water have a tea (orr beer for all you heathen beer drinkers) when you are dont with you drink of choice then your stone is ready for you too

i hav enever been in a rush to hone a blade and can always wait a few min to soak

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    i like the put in water have a tea (orr beer for all you heathen beer drinkers) when you are dont with you drink of choice then your stone is ready for you too

i hav enever been in a rush to hone a blade and can always wait a few min to soak
    Spoken like a self-employee. What's this I hear about enjoying your life before you die?? YOU ARE ON MY CLOCK!! GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    The main contender seems to be the Naniwa green brick, but it's been sold out for what seems like months now. Would a King work splash and go? I had one a long time ago but I don't remember... Anything else out there?

I don't think these perfect stones exist.

Also, I have to soak the Naniwa green thing before it does what little it does. Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of this one?

Sponsors
    yeah... green brick needs a couple of minutes to soak too. Other than shapton glass stones, there are very few splash and go stones that are truly splash and go, and of those, all of them are super hard. Most splash and go stones just work better with a short soak... thats just the way it is for some reason.

Oh well, that's what I was afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Why don't you just use permasoakers? It's like a splash and go...
    I don't want to deal with storing it and changing the water, basically (plus, I'm in FL where mold is a bigger issue). But it sounds like I might have to... maybe a soft splash and go is physically impossible based on the laws of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    maybe a soft splash and go is physically impossible based on the laws of nature.
    Indeed. It would have to be, in it's dry state, a very fragile rock.

How about just generating a little slurry on the SS?