Quantcast
Softer splash and go stones - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Softer splash and go stones

Hmmm... interesting theory, too bad I just sold mine Anyone care to try and report the results?

maybe the blue aoto 2k would be acceptable. i have permasoaked mine and it just made feel a little softer. i think you could probably use it as a splash and go so long as you keep splashing. there was a point where i was in love with this stone but after one swipe where it dug into the stone and i almost cut my finger off, i have put it back in the water and left it there. i dont care about the gouge, i only care about my finger. after that i am a believer that soft stones are no good.

i prefer the hard permasoakers. they have better feedback and generally fit my sharpening needs much better. its kinda like having a boning knife or a petty. boning knives are dangerous and belong in the bin, not my knife bag. you cannot get a feel or control the tip of a knife that is overly flexible and its kinda the same as a soft stone. its muddy and you dont get the firm feedback you would on something harder.

sorry about the rant, these are just my opinions. my suggestion would be to try a blue aoto 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Seems like the only real splash n go stones are J-nats, but they're, uh kind of hard as a rock.
    Aoto releases slurry pretty easy, and there is others that can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Also, I have to soak the Naniwa green thing before it does what little it does. Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of this one?
    If the green brick had only a few supporters, I would definitely defer to your wisdom, Dave. But I've read so many glowing reviews of this stone by a good number of people, so I don't know what to think.

I'll agree with you, lots of people like it, this keeps me trying it every so often over the years to see if I change my mind on it but I still come to the same conclusions. For me the stone wears faster than it cuts and that's a no-go in my book, then I look at what advantage it would have even if it didn't wear this fast and I come up with nothing because there's so many other stones in that range. I'll never understand the love people have for this one but diversity is what makes the world go round.

The GB is a fun stone to have and I see it as a medium coarse finishing stone - dragged mine out today for a spin and then stropped with 2.0u silicon carbide on balsa. As Dave said, it's slooooooow and needs a short soak (thirsty brick) and it is not the best choice for harder stainless steel, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    How about just generating a little slurry on the SS?
    That is the only way to get the true value from the SS stones IMO. The 5K SS will ALWAYS be in my arsenal. I just run under water for a minute before use, then raise a slurry and go to town.

+ Reply to Thread