• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Saji, Shige, Shimatani, Hiromoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKerr

Reaction score
I'm down to using cleavers for everything now so these guys are just sitting on the sidelines. Moving house next year as well so trying to save up a bit of cash and hopefully this lot will see the use they deserve.

First up, Hiromoto white 2, 27cm gyuto, stainless clad. Here's the dimensions lifted from JCK:
Cutting edge length: 265mm Total Length: 395mm Blade Thickness: 3.2mm
Blade Width: 55mm
Handle Length: 125mm
Total Weight: 314g
Pretty thick behind the edge and had a few small chips in it when it was received, there's still a tiny chip on the heel, but is otherwise in great condition. Sharpens easily, retention is typical white 2. Makes for a great workhorse. Handle is comfy (for me anyway) although it is on the large side. Asking $150 USD + shipping

DSC_0050_zps178c87bd.jpg DSC_0049_zps90d55474.jpg

Next Shimatani 24cm gyuto, HAP40 steel, stainless damascus clad. 3mm thick at heeel, 50mm tall, 245mm heel to tip, 260mm handle to tip. Probably going to regret selling this as it's probably the best buy I've every made with a knife. Comfy, nice and solid feel (which I like), easy to sharpen and holds it's edge well, cuts brilliantly for a fatty. Asking $250USD +shipping

DSC_0043_zpsffbea3db.jpg DSC_0045_zps92ff7b89.jpg

Takeshi Saji 27cm suji, coloured damascus, aogami super core, 2mm at heel, 280mm handle to tip, 43mm heel to spine. Bought this from Korin, edge was a little funky out of the box and it was pretty thick behind the edge. The edge is fine now and I thinned it a little on one side; subsiquently it's a bit messy on the right hand side (see pics), but it cuts much better than it did new, certainly has more room for thinning though. Steel is great, I've loved every Saji knife I've every used on the stones and they hold their edge well. Handle is ironwood. It's a solid knife too, little to no flex. Seen little use as I've never really had the need for a suji at work. Asking $250USD + shipping

DSC_0048_zpscf026a82.jpg DSC_0046_zpsd9e0a375.jpg

Shigefusa 240 kasumi wa gyuto. 3.5mm above heel, 49mm heel to spine, 245mm heel to tip, 260mm handle to tip. Excellent F+F, smooth spine and choil, nice taper, thin behind the edge, great on the stones. Pretty much all you expect from a Shige. I picked up all these knives around the same time, but I prefered the Shimatani and a saji gyuto I had so this guy seen little use. The tip has been damaged at some point (not sure when, but it's barely noticable and doesn't effect performance at all). Picked this guy up from CKTG, it has a "custom" handle (I think tiger maple, not sure what the ferrule is, rosewood maybe?), it's comfy, but super light and I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it's not stabalized. Came in a Richmond box and no saya, as such I'm asking $350USD +shipping

DSC_0041_zps2e224ad9.jpg DSC_0042_zps2e224ad9.jpg

I bought all these knives around the same time (probably about 6months ago, maybe a touch more), they've seen little use as they have been on rotation and I tend to use my cleavers anyway. However, they have been used and stored in a professional enviroment so they do have scuffs, pretty ugly patinas and have all been sharpened. Feel free to message me if you'd like better pics or have any questions.

Paypal only please and Aussies can message me for a price adjustment.

Sugimoto deba and Saji cleaver to come next.

Cheers.

Next up, Sugimoto kasumi superlative deba, white 2, 7mm above heel, 58mm heel to spine, 215mm heel to tip, d-shaped ho wood handle, horn ferrule, 375g (perhaps it's an Ai-deba). Comfy, easy to the sharpen, seems to be well ground although I'm no expert when it comes to single bevel knives, the ura is a little uneven at the tip on the spine side. Couple of small dings on the ferrule, probably from being in my wrap with other knives. Only used for larger fish at work up to 10kg, performs well even in my untrained hands which subsiquently results in 2 small chips. I didn't bother sharpening these out, mainly as a mix of laziness and that I just use my cleavers for all fish prep now so I haven't been using this knife either for a while. No saya, just a plasticy edge cover thing. This is a workhorse knife and I haven't been gentle with it, but it's still in decent condition. I paid about $250USD, asking $150 USD plus shipping.
View attachment 25162 View attachment 25163 View attachment 25164 View attachment 25165

Finally, I'm loathe to offer this one up, but again, it only gets used at home and I'm never home so it's just wasting away.
Takeshi Saji Chukabocho. 215mm heel to tip, 107mm heel to spine, 112mm in the middle, 105mm tip to spine. VG-10, ironwood handle with mosiac pin. 676gm. Quite a lot of belly on this guy, once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty comfortable to use, but if you'd a fan of CCKs, Moritaka etc, you may hate it. Due to the weight I find push cutting becomes too tiring after a while with this guy anyway. As much as VG-10 is pretty generic, I love it in the right hands and the VG-10 knives I've used from Takeshi Saji have all felt amazing on the stones and in use. A notch above the Hattori FH IMO, although perhaps I'm just convincing myself of that seeing as they cost considerably more.... F+F is great, although the spine and choil are sharp. More than happy to hang on to this guy if it doesn't garner any interest.
Paid $700, asking $600 + shipping.
View attachment 25166 View attachment 25167

Paypal only please and again, Aussies can message me for a price adjustment.

Working doubles over the next few days so I may be out of touch until Sunday night.

Cheers

Good to to see you around Josh, hope to see more of your posts. I'm still enjoying the Usaba and lil Deba you sold me 100 years ago...

Sorry, I'll try reposting them. Unfortunately I won't be home.again until tomorrow night so it'll have to wait till then.

Hmm, not sure why I can get thumbnails with some of the pics. oh well, here's my photobucket address. The relevent photos end at the Kawasaki. I'm happy to email more detailed pics should anyone desire. Cheers.

Also, the shigefusa is sold.

Small price drops:
Hiromoto $125
Shimatani $225
Saji sujihiki $225
Sugimoto Deba $125
Saji Cleaver $550

Cheers,
Josh

Hmm, not sure why I can get thumbnails with some of the pics. oh well, here's my photobucket address. The relevent photos end at the Kawasaki. I'm happy to email more detailed pics should anyone desire. Cheers.

Also, the shigefusa is sold.

I don't see your photobucket address? Am I missing something?

interested in sugimoto do you have a saya for it?

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid there's no saya for the deba. It just has a little soft plastic edge guard.

Just the hiromoto and the saji sujihiki and cleaver.

Both sajis now sold. Gonna pull the hiromoto for now.

That's the lot! Thanks KKF!

Sorry, I'm not sure how to change the prefix to sold.

Cheers,
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back