Quantcast
Saying hello!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying hello!

Cool Saying hello!

Hi,
    I am new

Mostly got interested in the hobby as a way to sharpen knives. I started on diamond plates but either I am not good at them or they scratch up the knives. So, I have decided to move to water stones and so far I am liking it

-Dima

Hello, Dima! Nice to meet you. They do scratch up knives.

q

time to ask a question:

I have a 500, 1k, 6k, grit stones and a 240grit...

I am waiting for the green brick to become available again but i want to get a finishing stone. I seen that 12k one on ebay and because I am so new to this, I dint want to spend 3-4x price for the high quality one until I learn how to doit.

Will it work? I know it will be very slow compare to others, but that's fine, as long as it works... I don't mind doing it.

Thanks

What are you sharpening? A 12k stone is not necessary for double bevel knives.

Perhaps your money would be better spent on stropping gear?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    What are you sharpening? A 12k stone is not necessary for double bevel knives.

Perhaps your money would be better spent on stropping gear?
    Hi,
    it's going to kitchen knives only.

Then I would advise some kind of quality stropping setup. I sharpened a full knife block set today, and stopped at 2k, then stropped(they were Heckels, normally I stop at 5k).

1. What kind of knives do you have?
    2. Got any stropping gear?

Then I would advise some kind of quality stropping setup. I sharpened a full knife block set today, and stopped at 2k, then stropped(they were Heckels, normally I stop at 5k).

1. What kind of knives do you have?
    2. Got any stropping gear?
    Mostly henckels twin chefs knife and henckels santoku. I don't have any stropping gear and kinda hoping to avoid it since I am still learning to sharpening using water stones. Hence I figured if I use 6k stone and finish on a 12k stone.
    thanks

Honestly, I think you could stop at your 6k. A 2k edge should just shave arm hair(though not great), and a 6k edge is plenty, especially for a soft steel knife like that. This may not be great to hear, but if those knives aren't cutting excellently right off the stones, it's you, not your tools. Good thing is, you don't need to buy anything!

Might I ask what problems you are having that make you want a finer grit stone?

Honestly, I think you could stop at your 6k. A 2k edge should just shave arm hair(though not great), and a 6k edge is plenty, especially for a soft steel knife like that. This may not be great to hear, but if those knives aren't cutting excellently right off the stones, it's you, not your tools. Good thing is, you don't need to buy anything!

Might I ask what problems you are having that make you want a finer grit stone?
    funny that you asked....

the 6k stone is very very nice and does great mirror is 5 minutes, but i kinda want to save it and say do that for 5 min and then move on to 12k, which is much thicker/easier to obtain.
    I also have some harder steal knives CIA brand, and it works fine there.

I guess I am asking if the 12k will work for me not for the practicality sake but fun/practice sake.

+ Reply to Thread