Saying hello!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new :)

Mostly got interested in the hobby as a way to sharpen knives. I started on diamond plates but either I am not good at them or they scratch up the knives. So, I have decided to move to water stones and so far I am liking it :)

-Dima

time to ask a question:

I have a 500, 1k, 6k, grit stones and a 240grit...

I am waiting for the green brick to become available again but i want to get a finishing stone. I seen that 12k one on ebay and because I am so new to this, I dint want to spend 3-4x price for the high quality one until I learn how to doit.

Will it work? I know it will be very slow compare to others, but that's fine, as long as it works... I don't mind doing it.

What are you sharpening? A 12k stone is not necessary for double bevel knives.

Perhaps your money would be better spent on stropping gear?

Then I would advise some kind of quality stropping setup. I sharpened a full knife block set today, and stopped at 2k, then stropped(they were Heckels, normally I stop at 5k).

1. What kind of knives do you have?
2. Got any stropping gear?

Then I would advise some kind of quality stropping setup. I sharpened a full knife block set today, and stopped at 2k, then stropped(they were Heckels, normally I stop at 5k).

1. What kind of knives do you have?
2. Got any stropping gear?

Mostly henckels twin chefs knife and henckels santoku. I don't have any stropping gear and kinda hoping to avoid it since I am still learning to sharpening using water stones. Hence I figured if I use 6k stone and finish on a 12k stone.

Honestly, I think you could stop at your 6k. A 2k edge should just shave arm hair(though not great), and a 6k edge is plenty, especially for a soft steel knife like that. This may not be great to hear, but if those knives aren't cutting excellently right off the stones, it's you, not your tools. Good thing is, you don't need to buy anything!

Might I ask what problems you are having that make you want a finer grit stone?

Honestly, I think you could stop at your 6k. A 2k edge should just shave arm hair(though not great), and a 6k edge is plenty, especially for a soft steel knife like that. This may not be great to hear, but if those knives aren't cutting excellently right off the stones, it's you, not your tools. Good thing is, you don't need to buy anything!

Might I ask what problems you are having that make you want a finer grit stone?
funny that you asked....

the 6k stone is very very nice and does great mirror is 5 minutes, but i kinda want to save it and say do that for 5 min and then move on to 12k, which is much thicker/easier to obtain.
I also have some harder steal knives CIA brand, and it works fine there.

I guess I am asking if the 12k will work for me not for the practicality sake but fun/practice sake. :)

Well, for fun, get whatever tickles your funny bone!

But I don't bother putting an edge that refined on kitchen knives, especially on softer ones like Henckels, because it won't last as long, and doesn't make a ton of difference in normal use. Plus the more time you spend on stones, the more chances you have to roll the edge.

If you are looking to encourage your stone buying addiction, and want to try something new, get a different 1k or 6k!

I feel like I've said this before but I'll say it again! "I agree with Eamon"!

For my used kitchen knives i.e Nakiri and Gyuto and one of the petty's I stop at a 5k and then put a microbevel. Good edge that will last.

For any old knives that I practice sharpening on I stop at 10K on a chosera blue. gives a great mirror polish and looks good! But I prefer a little more tooth!

Just for fun, on my home knives I go up to an 8k and it is plenty high for me and I am a knife junkie. At some point I will go higher but, this is only for my home knives that see little action since I am at work most the time.

At work I take it to a 5k and stop there.

Latest posts

Back