D. Martell SALE - Martell gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have two - 240mm Martell hidden tang western gyutos for sale. Both are O-1 @ Rc60-61 with cryo.

#1 - Two toned amboyna burl (from Dream Burls) paired with African Blackwood (from Burl Source) ferrule and a copper pin. I love this amboyna handle so much I wish I could afford to keep it.

#2 - Highly figured maple (from Stefan) that's been cut opposite the way maple is normally cut to show a different view and it does that for sure. An interesting note is that the block didn't show any black in it before working it down to shape, that all just appeared from nowhere. You never know what lies in a block of wood. African Blackwood (from Burl Source) was used for the ferrule as well as a nickel silver pin.

Price (each) - $575 (plus actual shipping costs)
Payment accepted through Paypal invoice

*Note #1- I have a customer already lined up for first refusal of one of these knives (his pick) and I'm 99% certain he's going for the amboyna but you never know. After he picks (or declines) I'll update this thread with what's available. In the meantime please feel free to call dibs. :D

*Note #2 - I'm also working on two more to be finished up in about a week's time. I'm almost 30% into them. Both 240mm gyutos in O-1. Handles are planned to be a dyed brown buckeye burl and dyed gray/green/gold redwood - both with African Blackwood ferrules. Yeah I hate working with both of these woods (and even sweared off of redwood) but both blanks are so sweet looking that I just can't ignore them any longer. If they come out nice it'll be all worth it. :)

Martell_gyuto24.JPG

Martell_gyuto26.JPG

Martell_gyuto29.JPG

Martell_gyuto35.JPG

Martell_gyuto37.JPG

I realize that the maple looks somewhat bland sitting next to the amboyna but what can't be seen about the maple is it's movement. A regular picture never shows this feature and that's too bad.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's all very nice of you. I'm VERY happy to be back working on my knives and I'm looking forward to cranking many more out.

Dave

PS - The amboyna is shipping out today! :)

PSS - The maple is all packed and ready to go. :D

I had a Pm from a member asking about where to source an exact block of amboyna and to that I can't answer since we never know who will have what and when. I can say where this particular block came from and that's from a KKF vendor - Myron over at Dream Burls. I snagged this when he first went live with his website. It was a fantastic quality of wood to work with and I will not hesitate to purchase another from him again should I hear about more becoming available (hint-hint Myron).

Here's some more pictures of the maple handled gyuto that's still (ahem) for sale. :D

The pictures look blue(ish) and this sucks. I'm using a different background than I used to use and I think is causing the blue problem. As soon as I can get something to replace it this one is gone. Please try to look beyond the blueness, I hope that you can see the beauty in this knife regardless of this problem.

Martell knives are built for performance. Purchase with confidence. :wink:

Change to the sale - FREE shipping (and insurance) for CONUS and prorated for international

P1010030.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010002.JPG

I would absolutely add this to my stable if I could. I'm shocked this is still here, Dave.

I almost get offended that no one picks this up.

Maybe someday my blade will show up at a postoffice close to me... :jumping:

Yea I am amazed, that this is still here. I absolutely love mine, it is a daily driver for me. I am sure this will make someone very happy.

I really really really really really wish I was able to snatch this up. I will own one of your knives one day!
I can't believe it's still here. I think I've only seen 2 Martells on BST in the past 3 years.
Somebody buy this, and then give it to me!

Finally! Great looking knives there, Dave. Good to see you at it again!

If everything goes OK I'll have a redwood handled 240mm gyuto available (for sale) tomorrow. :wink:

I thought you'd given up working with redwood?

I did, and I still do not wish to use it, but I had this one really cool block sitting here that I kept looking at and thinking about using so I gave it a whirl. It came out nice but I'm still not in love with using redwood on western handles, especially if there's a tang or bolsters present.

Next up will be a 240mm gyuto in what's supposed to be brown dyed redwood but I think it might have been mislabeled because it looks more like box elder to me but I'm no wood expert so who knows. I should have this ready either Sunday or Monday.

Following that I'll be making some off of the list. I can't wait for this. :)

Back