Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knife Glossary

Minor correction, Aogami Super != Aogami 2, or Hitachi blue 2, those are 2 different alloys - Aogami Super vs. Aogami 2 steel composition comparison. Alternate names and aliases are included for each steel in their respective reference files.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Minor correction, Aogami Super != Aogami 2, or Hitachi blue 2, those are 2 different alloys - Aogami Super vs. Aogami 2 steel composition comparison. Alternate names and aliases are included for each steel in their respective reference files.
    Yes! I have already fixed this, and am sending a version 2.0 to DAve soon enough. I actually amended them to be not only correct, but more to defer to your site. I don't know much about different steel compositions by rote memory, mostly because of your fantastic chart!

Cool. Happy to help. I've had a lot of help on my site contents form a lot of people here too.

Now I know what is Distal taper!

Was looking for itk which is associated with Devin?

Great work and much appreciated. Eventhough we generally know the gist or the rough intended meaning, reading it makes it very clear .

rgds D

ITK is "In the Kitchen". It is a line of knives a certain internet chef knives vendor commissioned. Not all of the knives are made by DT (i.e., there is a 'special' Tojiro bread knife). But the best known is probably the line of 'production' chef knives made by DT. He also produced some cleavers and pettys as part of that series.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    ITK is "In the Kitchen". It is a line of knives a certain internet chef knives vendor commissioned. Not all of the knives are made by DT (i.e., there is a 'special' Tojiro bread knife). But the best known is probably the line of 'production' chef knives made by DT. He also produced some cleavers and pettys as part of that series.
    thanks.. now I am getting the picture. I thought that it was some special steel or design!

rgds D

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    thanks.. now I am getting the picture. I thought that it was some special steel or design!

rgds D
    Yeah, I didn't include that one because it is essentially just a loose product line name. Googling "Devin Thomas ITK" brings up the line you are talking about.

I didn't want to have to go through the rigors of evenly and completely compiling a list of all the DP, FKH, SFGZ, etc designations and their roots, and googling works for them, so I left them all out.

Very Impressive! I have always thought I knew a little bit about kitchen knives in general and sharpening in particular, and that I was a knife nut. I yeild to you and many others on this site! Great to find contemporaries! CLAVERS RULE!!!!

As this forum is about kitchen knives, there are some terms which can have meaning in both the foodie world and the knife world. For example, accordion has the meaning in the food world that you listed. In the custom knife world, it is used to describe the process of taking a bar of "mosaic" damascus where the desired pattern appears on the end of the bar and cutting or grinding out wedge shaped pieces or grooves on the long axis so that the billet can be heated, opened up and the forged out flat to expose the pattern on the new faces of the billet. The method of laddering a billet by cutting or grinding grooves and then forging the billet out flat is a simpler version of this process where you don't need to fully expose the "end grain"

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    As this forum is about kitchen knives, there are some terms which can have meaning in both the foodie world and the knife world. For example, accordion has the meaning in the food world that you listed. In the custom knife world, it is used to describe the process of taking a bar of "mosaic" damascus where the desired pattern appears on the end of the bar and cutting or grinding out wedge shaped pieces or grooves on the long axis so that the billet can be heated, opened up and the forged out flat to expose the pattern on the new faces of the billet. The method of laddering a billet by cutting or grinding grooves and then forging the billet out flat is a simpler version of this process where you don't need to fully expose the "end grain"
    That's interesting to know, but I don't think I've ever seen the word accordion used that way here. Since the glossary is to help members understand the discussion I don't think Eamon needs to add it.