Put padding under cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohan

Reaction score
I use a glass cutting board and I'm not going to change, but this tip may help preserve knife sharpness with any cutting board. I put cushiony non-slip rubber pads under my glass cutting boards because the little rubber feet that come pre-attached always fall off. It occurred to me after years of doing this that my boards now have some give to them. Now I'm thinking of double layering the pads. I have to figure out how padded I can make it before it makes cutting too difficult.

And I'm curious, does anyone here use glass cutting boards? I don't want to keep one wooden board for meat and one for non-meat.

Your knives might appreciate it more if you put the rubber pads on top of the board, rather than on the bottom.

Okay, more seriously: I don't think a cushioning pad underneath would do much, if anything, to ameliorate the damage done to the edges of your knives as a result of the direct contact with glass, if that's what you have in mind. And I may be wrong, but don't think most people switch cutting boards (rather than wiping them off) depending on whether they're cutting meat or "non-meat."

Glass is terrible for knife edges as glass is much harder than steel and will dull your knives incredibly fast. With a glass cutting board, there's no point in having good knives or even sharpening so-so knives. Consider getting wood, plastic, bamboo or epicurean boards. Personally, I have a end grain board for my veggies and fruit and a smaller epicurean board for my meat and I don't find it to be a hassle.

I'm not sure if the OP is trolling the site or if he is just terribly misguided about all things sharp. (Good quality $12 knives, sharpening with a rock chucked into a drill and now glass cutting boards....)

In the event Bohan wants to learn anything, suggest that it's more effective to be in receive than to be keeping the transmit button locked down.

Would you like me to make a video to show how hard I can press and slide my knives against my finger without being cut and how relatively easily I can cut food on my glass cutting board? I think I know what I'm doing.

I'm not a glass cutting board user.

Unless you are keeping a kosher kitchen, there really isn't a reason to have more than one board - just clean it between uses. However, you can always use a flexible cutting mat for each use. In your case, it will also serve to protect your edges.

I don't think not being able to cut yourself with your knife edge is a trait most here will be envious of. No disrespect intended, just a bit flummoxing. Good knife skills will limit how often you cut yourself.

I use an Epicurean board for meat a lot. Cheap, easy on knives, cleans easily, and I can put it away in a cabinet when not in use.

I've tried poly, acrylic, wood and glass. Wood and glass are the two safest last I heard but I have to look into Epicurean. I'd expect there to be a questionable chemical used in them. Even BPA-free can't be trusted.

I also read an article about rubber cutting boards a couple of years ago, but they probably have the same problem of trapping food and not drying out well enough to kill dangerous organisms.

Try mats on top of the glass. They're cheap, almost disposable and dishwasher safe. I rescue knives every month with micro chipped edges from people who insist on cutting on glass or granite countertops.

Nice troll attempt. And I thought they were extinct.
Cheers,

Could you be more specific? You're all in the minority by buying such high priced knives. I think most of you know how well you could get buy with knives a fraction of what you pay and you simply put importance on different things, but I think some of you need an instructional video.

It would serve you well to entertain and respect the opinions here. Sure, we could all get by with hampton forge knives if we all wanted to hate ourselves, but frankly, why would we when there are VASTLY superior options. Knives are meant to cut; obviously yours can't even cut your finger so something is wrong there. If you think your skills and knives are up to par, by all means, show us, but as a fair warning, here's an example of what we're used to seeing posted. Your move.
[video=youtube;Xb5tdQq_0LY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb5tdQq_0LY&list=UUY7LzKnt-Q59iQz01e10rnw[/video]

I've tried poly, acrylic, wood and glass. Wood and glass are the two safest last I heard but I have to look into Epicurean. I'd expect there to be a questionable chemical used in them. Even BPA-free can't be trusted.

Crank alert.

You should see how hard I can press my finger against my spoons and not get cut. It's quite something.

Would you like me to make a video to show how hard I can press and slide my knives against my finger without being cut and how relatively easily I can cut food on my glass cutting board? I think I know what I'm doing.

Has to be a troll guys...

here's an example of what we're used to seeing posted. Your move.

Well, I'm not buying an artichoke, but maybe I'll do a video with a pineapple and onion. My $30-for-four steak knives are coming on Monday so maybe I should wait for them. I shave parts of broccoli stems with my really dull knives with one stroke but not with speed.

Crank alert.

BPA-Free Plastic Containers May Be Just as Hazardous
Animal studies find that a replacement compound for the estrogen-mimicking chemical bisphenol A may also be harmful to human health

Well, I'm not buying an artichoke, but maybe I'll do a video with a pineapple and onion. My $30-for-four steak knives are coming on Monday so maybe I should wait for them. I shave parts of broccoli stems with my really dull knives with one stroke but not with speed.

BPA-Free Plastic Containers May Be Just as Hazardous
Animal studies find that a replacement compound for the estrogen-mimicking chemical bisphenol A may also be harmful to human health

It's obvious that you're aware of the tastes on this forum, regarding culinary tools. Your blatant disregard for said interests belies your need to troll as hard as you can. Better have tried. All have failed. I suggest you spend some time over on 4CHAN, you'll fit right in over there.

It's obvious that you're aware of the tastes on this forum, regarding culinary tools. Your blatant disregard for said interests...

You're being vague. Someone insulted me for my claim about BPA free products so I provided a link. I'm not saying everyone here should give up plastic cutting boards because of it. And I'm not saying cheap knives further dulled over the years by glass are as good as yours. I just said putting padding under any cutting board probably helps and people chose to focus on my preference for glass.

I'm not sure if the OP is trolling the site or if he is just terribly misguided about all things sharp. (Good quality $12 knives, sharpening with a rock chucked into a drill and now glass cutting boards....)

In the event Bohan wants to learn anything, suggest that it's more effective to be in receive than to be keeping the transmit button locked down.

I want to hear more about this rock chucked into a drill. :dance:

I want to hear more about this rock chucked into a drill.

That wasn't a direct quote. I have an old knife sharpener attachment for drills that I've since repurposed. I don't think I'll put it back together because you need a drill press for it but maybe I'll clamp down my knife and use half of the sharpener as a grinding stone. I have protective equiptment.

32zi2cw.jpg

Hey, I have something that looks like that in the shed. Used to be used for lawn mower blades and stuff. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my Damascus DT and Radar! Who knew?
That wasn't a direct quote. I have an old knife sharpener attachment for drills that I've since repurposed. I don't think I'll put it back together because you need a drill press for it but maybe I'll clamp down my knife and use half of the sharpener as a grinding stone. I have protective equiptment.

32zi2cw.jpg

Well, mine is a knife sharpening stone... Probably easier to get the right angle with it than using my handheld diamond sharpener. But thanks for the sarcasm.

I want to take this opportunity to replug a video from another thread. I won't pretend that the majority agreed with it (though it got overwhelming likes on Youtube), but the negative replies reminded me of the replies to this thread so I properly dismissed them.

[video=youtube_share;e50gujs4l-I]http://youtu.be/e50gujs4l-I[/video]

Would some moderator please delete all of the troublemaking posts above?

Then why do you need anything else in the house other than butter knives.

I've got some cheap knives that are very thin and cut reasonably well even when quite dull. They work fine for a lot of things.

Though I'm tempted to regard the OP as somewhat trollish, some of the points are not totally invalid. If it is a troll, then the hostility here is a testament to its effectiveness, contrary to what brainsausage claims about "all have failed". This is a sensitive group and feathers are easy to ruffle. I have held back many posts knowing that I would have an angry mob after me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back