What Knife Should I Buy? (Nakiri)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mspeleoto

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Single bevel - thinking Nakiri so far but willing to listen to advice.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
160-180mm. Already own a 200mm and it feels just a bit too long.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Thinking yes, but willing to listen to a more informed opinion

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

£140, ~ $230 for reference. (factored out import tax in this)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Chopping vegetables, slicing meats? I know it's not a yanagiba but would it serve decently for this or best to just not?

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing - to complement a pair of Shuns I bought before I knew I could get better for my money.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Chop, slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Really I just have the gear lust and want to try out a single bevel.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Kurouchi looks nice, would prefer something that doesn't get a patina.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I prefer my knifes to have some heft to them.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
No strong opinions either way. Out of the box would be nice.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Once a week after medium home use might be as much as I can put up with.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Tempered glass.

No no, I joke. Wood.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Just started

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
So, I was looking at one of Watanabe's. Seems to get a lot of love here, except some things I saw about OEM in the cheaper range.

Talk me out of it or talk me into it a bit more as you wish.
http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/santoku.htm

Do you want a nakiri, or a single bevel? From what I know usually nakiris are double bevel.

Just a little correction, Nakiri is not a single bevel knife.
Single bevel nakiri is called Usaba. None of the two is really suitable for fish prep.

Looks like I shall eat my words. For some reason I was of the impression that a Nakiri was single bevel. My mistake!

Single bevels knives aren't suitable for chopping.

Usuba is a cool looking knife that requires great skill to be used properly… and probably doesn't make any sense in home kitchen (unless you are preparing traditional Japanese food).
Single bevel slicer — yanagiba might serve you well for slicing meat, although a double bevel sujihiki would probably do it better.
Deba is a heavy single bevel knife for heavy fish preparations. Probably isn't the one you are looking for.

How about cleavers? They offers plenty of heft and with some practice allows you to do all kitchen cutting tasks.

Single bevels knives aren't suitable for chopping.

Usuba is a cool looking knife that requires great skill to be used properly… and probably doesn't make any sense in home kitchen (unless you are preparing traditional Japanese food).
Single bevel slicer — yanagiba might serve you well for slicing meat, although a double bevel sujihiki would probably do it better.
Deba is a heavy single bevel knife for heavy fish preparations. Probably isn't the one you are looking for.

How about cleavers? They offers plenty of heft and with some practice allows you to do all kitchen cutting tasks.

But Nakiri is suitable for chopping still? That's the main use I would have for it, chopping vegetables up as I find the rock-chop fairly awkward. Single bevel interested me just because it was something different. If Usuba isn't really suitable then I think I would stick with Nakiri - I only mentioned the slicing meat as an aside. I'm not sure I could justify the money for a yanagiba or sujuihiki when I can slice that all up well enough with the knife I already own.

RE cleavers - I thought about one a while back, but really don't have much use for it as I don't ever do anything so heavy duty that it would require a cleaver (chopping bones, taking the ankles off chicken legs etc). I realise you're responding to my preference for "Some heft" but really I should have indicated that I wanted something that wasn't feather light. Also I can't seem to go back and edit the OP with this to update it

Never used a Itinomonn yet. From the pictures on JNS site they look to have quality grinds.

I am home cook and have a usuba and find that while I don't reach for it often, it is very nice for a few tasks. First among them is finely chopping herbs, especially chives and scallions. I also like it for making verrry thin slices of potatoes for homemade chips -- the single bevel tends to give good release on what otherwise is a very sticky task.

But I could clearly get these things done with other knives, and I'm not sure how long my usuba will continue to see use now that I have a 210mm wa-petty, that I'm just loving.

Agree with the cleaver rec, too.

You know you can use a chopping motion with a gyuto. If you're worried about length then I would get a santoku/banno bunka.

What size shuns do you have ?

A nakiri is a nice to have, I quite like it from time to time. It can be nice and compact when chopping veggies.
Must admit that I don't use it too frequently nowadays, mainly use my gyutos.

If the intent is to try a single bevel, a petty may be a viable option. SB petty is not common but are available. Said to be excellent for slicing fruit and other small precision tasks.

ALthough all of the arguments about using a gyuto instead of a nakiri are valid, given the chance to have one, a good Nakiri is a joy to have and use (mine is a Carter). ALthough I am hesitant to recommend one in particular, I would encourage to get one if you can afford it

I a 'm very happy with my watanabe pro nakiri stanless clad

What about a Yoshiaki Fujiwara 180mm Kurouchi Nakiri from JNS? Got one off a forum member and it is a great knife that brings a big grin whenever it gets used. Gets razor sharp pretty easily and holds an edge for ages.

A little reactive but has a good weight while still being nimble. To be honest it is the knife that I reach for at the end of a bad day; my usuba only gets an outing when I'm in the mood for frustration.

Thanks for the input everyone, my laptop had been in for repair for a week so I couldn't get round to replying any sooner. Decided to put off the purchase for a while, I believe one of my flatmates took my chef knife and either used it on a glass chopping board, or bashed it around as the edge was ground off on every part except the tip, so hesitant to buy a nice knife now if I'm going to end up repairing it all the time.

Will probably buy in about 8 months now so I guess, that's more time for people to leave advice on here heh.

Kev, I have an 10cm paring and a 20cm chef's knife.

Well, if the 200mm feels a bit long to you, a nakiri is probably a good option.
It's a nice practical veggie knife, if not as versatile as a gyuto.
It's also very compact if your work area is limited.

Use the 8 months to have a think about what you really want in your next knife and keep reading the forums to get more info.
And see if you can work out something to stop your flatmates mangling your knives.

Back