Two stones stuck together

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this habit of stacking my two naniwa pro stones one on top of the other, so I can flip to the other grit while I use them, I like the added height too, I lightly flatten them together so they kind of stick in a big combo stone.

Usually I can separate them afterwards cause they need to be stored dry. This time they have been stuck for 3 days and there is no way to separate them using my bare hands. I don't want to damage them and I'm worried about some eventual trapped humidity between them.

I can use them like that but I wanted to know if soaking them for a short period of time could help separate or it may be a bad idea, maybe I should just wait for them to naturally separate ?

Thanks for your comments

Sounds like you made yourself a combination stone ... Just give them more time than usually for drying since part of the surface is 'missing'. If the stones will not separate once completely dry, than try soaking them. Other than that I do not have a really usable recommendation.

Try floss to separate them

You have the problem of trapped water vapor, like two 6th pans stuck together. Thoroughly dying should loose them, but let it happen naturally, a hairdryer or oven are probably bad plans.

I tried everything except a long soak and they are still bond together. I might have to just live with it.

If anybody ever get the same problem, patience works ! A couple weeks ago the stones finally came apart on their own after a flattening session. I kind of liked the big combo stone anyway, maybe I'm going to try to stick em back the same way.

You gave me a great idea of what to do when my stones get too thin and I don't want to mount them on a wooden block for more use.

I just had this same problem with the same stones. Submerged it in warm water right off of a boil for a few minutes and they came apart rather easily.

Back