Alactraz Kitchen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
The tedium of Alcatraz--the sameness of the people, work and living space--was
broken only by the variety of the menu. The food was practically considered part
of the security program at Alcatraz.

The quality was reputed to be the best in the prison system--officials claimed they
spent more money for food per inmate than other prisons did, and there was
plenty to eat for everybody. The Alcatraz guards ate the same food in their dining
room.

It was reported that, while Federal regulations stipulated a minimum allocation of
2,100 calories per day, per federal prison inmate, at Alcatraz the inmates generally
received more than 3,000 calories per day, per inmate. The inmates on Alcatraz
Island had fresh bread and pastry, butter on the tables and pie and ice cream for
dessert.

Wartime food rationing and occasional budgetary challenges led to a few bumps
in the culinary road, but overall, especially given conditions across America during
the Depression and war years, dining at Alcatraz was a pretty good deal. Good food
meant inmates who were relaxed and content.

In the mess hall, inmates could have as much food as they wanted, but if they left
food on their trays, they could miss their next meal. If it happened again,
punishment could be more severe.

nUFhQtAl.jpg
[/IMG]

Ulp11pul.jpg
[/IMG]

Shadow box for knives.
JYH8PNdl.jpg
[/IMG]

xNRgTDt.jpg
[/IMG]

MY wife was here recently. They talked a while about how good the food was there.

My fantasy football team name is "Turdman of Alcatraz".

I have been there many times, but I prefer to be fishing from my boat looking from the outside..The best Alcatraz tour happens Halloween night using flashlights.They sure had some serous industrial mixers back in the days of Capone and the Bird Man.

I bet those old steam kettles still work. I'd love to brew some beer with them.

Wow only 2 steam kettles. Not a lot to work with but those SS paddles will take care of a problem child in a hurry.

Dave

resurrecting this old thread because my kids visited Alcatraz for a field trip yesterday and I thought folks on here would be interested in the knife cabinet (mentioned above but the photo is gone)

four butcher knives, two chef knives, two paring knives, and a cleaver.

All hung in a locked cabinet with the back wall painted to make it very evident when one is missing.

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_4534.jpeg

resurrecting this old thread because my kids visited Alcatraz for a field trip yesterday and I thought folks on here would be interested in the knife cabinet (mentioned above but the photo is gone)

All hung in a locked cabinet with the back wall painted to make it very evident when one is missing.

View attachment 241363

View attachment 241362

Shadow boards!

Very common in manufacturing too. Save time finding the thing you’re looking for!

View attachment 241363

View attachment 241362
Not small knives!

Back