Media Dirty Birds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Because, why not?

[video=youtube;5V6DN3AKOwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dknq65CYXQ0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Cool. Sharp knife. As a novice home cook, what do you use the cuts of chicken for?

Nice idea of the glove for grip, what is the material?

Nice work, especially going around the oysters at that speed! What knife is that? Don't laugh, but I usually use a Shun petty for chicken and it is... less than ideal. Not that I'd be that quick, anyway.

Nice work, especially going around the oysters at that speed! What knife is that? Don't laugh, but I usually use a Shun petty for chicken and it is... less than ideal. Not that I'd be that quick, anyway.
Thanks! I just slice behind it and pull it the rest of the way.

Knife used:
Hattori HD 150mm Honesuki Etched and Rehandled by our own Dave Martell.

Agreed. Videos like this are part of my continuing education. I do a lot of whole rotisserie chicken on my weber, so breaking down a whole raw chicken is relatively new to me. Especially when the wife doesn't care for chicken thighs/legs/wings. Easier for me to roast it whole and tear it apart by hand. But I like the idea of stuffing with sausage.

Agreed. Videos like this are part of my continuing education. I do a lot of whole rotisserie chicken on my weber, so breaking down a whole raw chicken is relatively new to me. Especially when the wife doesn't care for chicken thighs/legs/wings. Easier for me to roast it whole and tear it apart by hand. But I like the idea of stuffing with sausage.

If you ever make coq au vin, you'll be glad you saw the proper way to cut up a chicken. Here is the classic French way:

[video=youtube;clfh19HBqjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfh19HBqjQ[/video]

I think we can all tell who has the sharper knife. :) It's a handy technique.

There's something disturbing about a man with a very sharp knife and black nitrile gloves.

Edipis, I've definitely seen that video and it's on my short list of things to do. :)

Agreed, but I'm still waiting for pics of some dirty birds… :groucho:

Plenty of pics on google image search. ;)

Theory, your video has made me pull my little blue #2 ko-deba out of storage. It worked pretty well on fowl, though not as good as a dedicated knife. I figure that I'll only lose 3 fingers will practicing to be as quick and skillful as you in breaking down birds. :)

You just need endless cases of chicken to play with and you're good to go!

For some reason that watch he's wearing seems out of place. Aren't there some food safety laws about wearing jewelry while doing prep?

Concerning the second video - the cook cuts the leg bones - how to accomplish that without chopping your boning knife or buying a meat leaver (which one normally does not need at home)?

For some reason that watch he's wearing seems out of place. Aren't there some food safety laws about wearing jewelry while doing prep?

I soak my watch in peroxide and scrub ritualistically. It's a clean piece of stainless steel.

Concerning the second video - the cook cuts the leg bones - how to accomplish that without chopping your boning knife or buying a meat leaver (which one normally does not need at home)?
get a cheap commercial stainless 8 to 10 in chef. $20 in restaurant supply stores here.Softer , tougher steel.

Pepin used a Lamson & Goodnow chef's knife. The brand name is visible for a second during his "Galantine Ballotine" video and I googled it because I was curious. It seems to be on a level with the Dexter Russell SaniGrip or Victorinox Fibrox knives, but it is apparently no longer available, on their website at least.

It just goes to show that, no matter how difficult it may be to accept, it is not the knife ... :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back