I'd like to try a cleaver. What about one of these?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andur

Reaction score
I'm missing a cleaver. I'd like a very thin one for light chopping and slicing of veggies. Haven't yet tried one so the large ones are a bit intimidating.

The budget is around 100USD or below, just so I won't blow some money on a knife I might even not like that much. I'd also rather not buy a cleaver which has so poor steel that if I do like it, I'd have to get a better one.

So I was reading about the famous CCK 1303 which is not expensive but my only concern is the steel? Is it an inferior steel to my Japanese knives so far? Will it need frequent sharpening in my home kitchen environment?

Then I stumbled upon these two:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Handmade-VG10-Cleaver-Vegetable-Chopping-Knife-8-7inch-1-7mm-Thickness-N001-/251531754500?pt=AU_Cutlery&hash=item3a9075fc04
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZP-MT7-Pear-Wood-Handle-Japanese-Steel-Chinese-Cleaver-Chef-Knife-7-7inch-/261387993922?pt=AU_Cutlery&hash=item3cdbf04342

From what I gather they are VG10 clad and made in Taiwan. If the heat treat is any good it should be a fine blade, right? I really like how thin these are if the measurements are correct: under 2mm for a good size cleaver. If that's true it should slide through food nicely. But I haven't seen too many reviews, whereas there are lots and lots of positive reviews on the CCK cleaver.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help!

I'd choose the known quality of the cck. The steel is not as nice as your J-knives, but will get extremely sharp. You can bring the edge back rather easily with a few light swipes on a steel.

I don't have any experience with the first (Zhen) brand, but I have seen the second one locally, and it seems to be a good knife with a fairly nice geometry--similar to some knives that I use (mine are stainless-clad with hard carbon core). However, I think the markup is pretty high, since similar knives here in Taiwan are half that price or less, I believe.

Actually the first one looks kind of intriguing, though I'm not a fan of the handle.

berko, what cleaver is that full tang one with the super thin grind. I like the choil (?) shot of the two side by side and the extra thin one looks nice. The patina'd one looks good too, are they the same brand?

The patina'd one looks good too, are they the same brand?
no, the thinnest one might be my "schanz" cleaver in niolox/sb1, which is a copy of an ashi cleaver (the patinad one). the schanz is fullsize 220x110 and weights 380g. the ashis weight is 400g.

there is the schanz

well, given the pictures, weight and dimensions I now fully understand why you like it so much... damn, I guess I may need one too (but more likely in 200x100). What wood did Juergen use for the handle?

This is the shot I was looking at
IMG_4887_zpsd56d7d4f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Both look like sweet cleavers. How much do those two run?

In regards to the original question. The VG10 cleaver looks nice. I actually like the looks of the handle, but I haven't held it, so I can't say from experience. The owners here seem to like it so it's worth a look. Especially if you like the stainless aspect over the carbon CCK.

I would actually prefer carbon but I get the feeling in this case the VG10 might be a bit better in terms of edge durability?

CCK does make stainless blades as well though I've never used one.

Left one is a Ashi Hamono, right one would be the Schanz...I don't know if his Ashi Hamono is custom made (but I guess it is, since the weight he stated is ~80g lower than the one in Ashis standard lineup pdf )...

According to their 2014 price list, a Ashi Hamono cleaver costs 25k and 28k Yen + shipping, depending on the steel flavor. I ran the numbers through a calculator0 and since you're from the US, you are most likely better off getting one through John... http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...pe/gesshin-ginga-number6-chinese-cleaver.html... Can't say anything about Ashi Hamonos prices for custom orders...

Buying a Custom Schanz and having it shipped from Germany to the US (using the price berko told me via PM some days ago + actual DHL shipping costs), incl. tax&duty will easily exceed 350 Dollar.

Thanks for the good information. No wonder I like them, they are well out of my price range. Very nice cleavers to be sure.

While we are on the topic of cleaver options. What are the thoughts on the JCK Kagayaki cleavers? I have been eyeing the KG-25 (220x86mm) cleaver at $100 and it seems nice. The smaller one at $88 looks good too.

What wood did Juergen use for the handle?
its desert ironwood. i think id prefer ebony over it.

ashis prices for custom orders are about the same as the standard ones. karnsteins calculation of the custom schanz price shipped to the us could be right.

Latest posts

Back