time for a gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aellet

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the forum,

I have been using a 240mm Mac for the last 8 years as my standard chefs knife, and it have finally given up on me and needs to be replaced. it will be mainly used for very fine slicing of herbs and soft vegetables, leeks, spring onions, that kind of thing.

two knives that i have been looking at are

watanabe Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm
he has very good reviews, and i like the fact that it can be customised as i think that i would like a single bevel

Aritsugu A style 240mm
I have an Aritsugu Usuba that i use a lot, they also get good reviews, but seem to have fallen slightly out of fashion, apparently they are very hard to sharpen be have excellent edge retention.

i think that i would prefer a heavy knife over a lighter one as they feel better in my hand, and carbon over stainless steel

any suggestions or comments much appreciated

hey guys, new to the forum,

I have been using a 240mm Mac for the last 8 years as my standard chefs knife, and it have finally given up on me and needs to be replaced. it will be mainly used for very fine slicing of herbs and soft vegetables, leeks, spring onions, that kind of thing.

two knives that i have been looking at are

watanabe Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm
he has very good reviews, and i like the fact that it can be customised as i think that i would like a single bevel

Aritsugu A style 240mm
I have an Aritsugu Usuba that i use a lot, they also get good reviews, but seem to have fallen slightly out of fashion, apparently they are very hard to sharpen be have excellent edge retention.

i think that i would prefer a heavy knife over a lighter one as they feel better in my hand, and carbon over stainless steel

any suggestions or comments much appreciated

What do you mean by a single bevel gyuto?

And, why don't you use your usuba for the fine slicing? It's a dedicated vegetable knife.

What do you mean by a single bevel gyuto?

basically a Kiritsuki shaped like a gyuto. I already use a usuba, deba and a yanagi, they are all single bevel and i find them much easier to cut with.

although it is just an indulgence

Latest posts

Back