How to compromise with the wife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steak knives are one place I'd agree with serrated. They are going to be ground into porcelain or earthenware plates on a regular basis even if you serve nice tender steak, and it's not worth the effort to restore the edges every meal.

Easy enough to get a set and keep the wife happy.

Peter

Don't bang you head -- there are others in your camp. I had a steak the other night at a nice restaurant, and their serrated steak knife basically tore the heck out of the steak vs actually cutting it. Damn shame too, as the steak was nicely cooked/ prepared. I *almost* was too disgusted to eat the whole thing :D I think the biggest problem was it would snag on the sinew and i had to really work to cut it away. and the serrated French steak knives we received as a wedding present don't do any better.

The non-serrated Henkle steak knives we mainly use at home hold up well enough, and only need sharpening a couple times per year to get the job done. And when the meat is something top-notch, I break out the maple plates and Butch's steak knives and cutting is like going through soft butter. So stand up and Just Say No to serrated steak knives.

Unless your wife is a member here you should not consider compromising on knives. Anything and everything else but not knives. No ragrets.

image.jpg

Haha. Yes!

To the rest... Guys, this post was made with humor. My wife is happy, I'm happy. She likes her pink knife. I wasn't asking for opinions on getting serrated knives or not. Tough crowd.

those look cool Brian, how do they cut? smoothly?

Yes, really well. Though I'll have to make a big steak to really test them :) Spines are a little rough so I might ease them. Hey, $40 ain't bad tho.

I know that is a really good deal, If I made more steaks at home I definitely would get them, just don't cook enough at home ATM

Have you ever heard of Laugiole?

I went to my sisters house for a Christmas dinner last year and she made an amazing Tri-Top, my favorite :)

She just got a new set of steak knives from laguiole and they looked amazing! Super sharp and felt good to use.

Might want to look at getting a set. Just searched google or check out them here. http://www.laguiolesteakknives.com I highly recommend them.

Let me know if you decide to get a set, I'll be getting some for Christmas :laugh:

SPAM ALERT

You can buy a set of 4 little wood boards so when you eat something that needs to be cut when you're eating it, like meat, you can use your best edged knifes. It's more enjoyable. I really don't like having to cut in a plate.

As many of us are used to sharp edges, going to a Steak house and using dull knives can be :curse:. Makes sense to bring your own, let your better half carry them in her purse:D

To the rest... Guys, this post was made with humor.
We take our knives seriously here, your attempt at humor was misplaced! :knight:

As many of us are used to sharp edges, going to a Steak house and using dull knives can be .

Just bring your own cutting board too and tell the cook to plate your meal on that, then you can enjoy using your nicest knives.

She just wants knives that cut, to her that means what she grew up with. This way we will both be happy.

I did the exact same thing, for the exact same reason. I also bought four wooden steak boards to use instead of plates so I wouldn't spend half my life sharpening them. Everyone's a winner!

Definitely not trying to SPAM anything. I thought that was the direct site for their knives.

That's a great idea! I'll have my wife bring a pair of ours next time we go to the steak house. You don't think their would be any problems from the restaurant do you?

I bought tramontina steak knives in local kitchen shop for $2 a piece. They are serrated knives and do the job pretty well.

No worries. Most first time posters don't jump in strongly advocating a particular brand and including a link to that brand. Welcome to the forum and pls intro yourself in the new member section.

Definitely not trying to SPAM anything. I thought that was the direct site for their knives.

That's a great idea! I'll have my wife bring a pair of ours next time we go to the steak house. You don't think their would be any problems from the restaurant do you?

Back